New Brewer needs help if possible!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiakken

Reaction score
Ok here is my situation in a nut shell.
Apple tree in yard gave us a truckload of apples.
My little Missus juices out 5 gallons of juice. (The steamer type Juicer)
Froze juice for the last three months. Thawed it out put 3 gallons in to carboy added sugar.
Campdon tablet ground fine dissolved in warm water per gallon.
Acid Blend.
Pectic Enzyme.
Nutrient.

It asked for Tannin which I didn't know what it is!!!!
So the other package that I had was Potassium Sorbate which this moron:fro: thought was the tannin.......:drunk:

So now I have added the yeast killer before I even put in the yeast so all I have now is some sweat apple juice or can I save it??

Help Please if possible.

Ken.

Make a starter and keep slowly adding the sorbated juice. Sorbate doesn't kill yeast, it just keeps them from reproducing. If you get a healthy starter, t will overwhelm the sorbate.

Tannin you can get from tea bags. You can also buy grape tannin as an additive. But if you added sorbate to your must, you just made fermentation extremely difficult if at all possible. I wouldn't attempt to make that batch as it is. 1/2 tsp of sorbate per gallon will stabilize a fermented wine. How much sorbate did you add? One stabilizes a fermented wine prior to bottling so the wine doesn't carbonate further if you want to sweeten the final dry wine. Don't ever add sorbate to the must. I also don't add acid blend to the must because it can drive down the pH and make fermentation much harder for the yeast than if you add acid at the end of fermentation. If you got more apples, I'd highly recommend you collect another five gallons of juice and don't use the sorbate at all unless you sweeten the wine prior to bottling. Sorbate also has a finite shelf life. I usually buy new sorbate every six months after opening. Hope that helps.

buzzerj
Thanks for the reply. I added 1 tsp to 3 gallons of must.
Well this so far has been the start of a new learning curve..

doctorcad. I don't have enough apples to start another batch of must or I would definitely try that and add my bad must to it.

Last edited:
Ken to make this a success I'd still tell you to go out and buy some apple juice and some sugar. One without preservatives (like potassium sorbate) in it. It's cheaper in the long run and it will be successful. Checkout Edwort's Apfelwein thread. Good luck and welcome to the addiction.

buzzerj
Thanks for the reply. I added 1 tsp to 3 gallons of must.
Well this so far has been the start of a new learning curve..

doctorcad. I don't have enough apples to start another batch of must or I would definitely try that and add my bad must to it.

A cup of warm water and sugar and yeast will get your starter going, add 1/4 cup of your existing must every half hour or so until you have a good rolling boil in a gallon. That should be strong enough to get the rest going.

Latest posts

Back