Help needed on Sunbeam Kegerator.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WBuhr

Reaction score
OK, so I have a Sunbeam Kegerator model SCK02SMWBS. When I bought this off of someone I didn't have too many issues except temperature control. (i.e. I couldn't have the temperature set on a specific degree. I had to have it on constant-on mode which is 6 on the dial. So I bought a Johnson control module and everything was working fine temp-wise. Recently however the temp stays at ambient temperature and I hear the compressor running. it does get warm as well. I thought maybe a relay was needed based off what I read. But a GE sales rep told me that there isn't a relay that would suit the compressor I had. So my question really is, are there others out there with this issue, and is there a simple fix, or do I need to just move on to another kegerator/make my own?

not sure about johnson control, but I have a stc 1000 and all that is required is for me to place the thermo inside the keezer and that gives the stc the ambient temp inside of it. The keezer is plunged into the stc controller where it is regulating the tempture of the keezer. Can i ask where your temperature probe is located? Is the is the kegerator plugged into the controller?

The probe is hanging in the center, running along the co2 line. I've tried having the kegerator with or with out the controller but it's still having the issue.

I would say that the problem is then in the kegerator. Somewhere in the thermo control. I would take the panel about and look for loose connections

Do you think it could be a bad compressor?

I was just thinking about that. if it does nothing when the Johnson controller is connected or disconnected, then yea my guess is the compressor. Its usually the one part (that I have heard on these forums) that frequently goes out in freezers or refrigerators. Unfortunately the compressor is not worth replacing.

I bought a brand new chest freezer from Sears and used it for about a month before I experienced the same problem you are having. I called Sears and they sent a service guy out. It ended up being that the lines were leaking coolant somewhere in one of the walls. They wanted me to go through a 2-3 day testing process so they could track down the leak. I called the store again and explained that if I took 2 or 3 more days off of work, I could have payed for another freezer. They understood and told me that I could come pick up my new freezer the next day. Haven't had any problems since.

Back