Dry hopping to improve a recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicid

Reaction score
Gday gents,

I have a recipe which is tasting just fine for me, have enough bitterness and everything except hop aroma which is very subtle to me.

Now I have a second batch of this beer in the FV and wondering if I can somehow add the ONLY aroma to it. Yes, I\m thinking about dry hop it.

Is there any rule of thumb much hop should I use without affect the overall bitterness&aftertaste? (Yes I know about bitterness should not be affected while dryhopping but anyway...)

The second question I came up with : should I use the same hops as used while boiling or is it reasonable to use something else to match the boiled?

1.5 oz Cascade used in the recipe.

Thanks in advance!

Not a gent but I'll weigh in anyway ;) . As far as amounts and hop selection it's all personal preference so you will get a variety of answers. I tend to do about 1-2 oz per 5 gal for a pale ale, more for an IPA. It would be fine to use more cascade, or you could use a complimentary hop like centennial, amarillo, simcoe, etc. Or a combo - many ways to go here. It won't change the bitterness as you mention, as far as taste I don't think you can ever completely separate aroma from flavor given the way our sense of taste works. If you are talking just about the lingering bitterness on the finish, no I wouldn't expect it to alter that.

I have a recipe that I'm in love with that is almost all late addition hops and uses .5oz Simcoe and .5 oz Centennial for dry hopping. The only early addition hops on this recipe is .25 oz of Magnum at 60 min. This beer had great hop aroma and flavor without being that bitter.

@chickypad knows what she is talking about. Good advice. I have recently been using Ahtanum hops for late boil and dry hopping. It gives a nice flavor and is not as grapefruity. Cascade and Citra have almost become a cliche

Whether PA/APA/IPA, I like to use the same hops for dry hopping as used in the boil. Since our senses of smell & taste are so inexorably linked, I do that purposely to give a fuller experience. But other, complimentary hops can work, adding subtle nuances that go together with the boil hops. An ounce of dry hop would work in this instance.

Latest posts

Back