2nd Yeast To Bottle Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_P

Reaction score
I have a RIS I brewed about 9 days ago, I used WLP007 which I believe is good up to around 15%. OG = 1.140, took a reading 2 days ago and was at 1.032. I am looking at a possible 15-16% beer. Once it passes 15% the alcohol will kill off some yeast right? If I want to carbonate in the bottles should I add some other yeast and if so which one? Thanks.

Bad time to ask... You should have pitched some wlp099 @a lower abv. You'll need to make a starter with the 099. I would then add a bit more to the starter to bring up the abv. This will get the yeast ready for the highly toxic, high abv you are about to pitch them into. Pitch the 099 and let it finish fermenting the ris. Let the dead 007 flock out before racking to your aging tank or bottling.

I would not add additional yeast and expect to give more time for bottle conditioning to complete

Ok, yes it should sit and bulk age, but shouldn't we make sure that there are no more fermentables left before we bottle. If the 007 kicks it due to toxosis before it finishes up the ferment and we were to bottle that up with a new, more alcohol tolerant yeast, wouldn't it be probable that those fermentables ( and added priming sugar) could make things go BOOM?

Either pitch a new yeast before bulk aging or do a forced ferment with the new yeast prior to calculating priming sugar to know for sure.

I have a seed warmer wrapped around the bucket, I gave it a light stir and the air lock started bubbling again for a little while.

I have a seed warmer wrapped around the bucket, I gave it a light stir and the air lock started bubbling again for a little while.

It will always bubble if you stir it. Agitation will evolve Co2 out of solution.

Yeast don't just magically die at a certain ABV.

That's right, they go into toxic shock. Then they stop fermenting as they slowly flocculate out and die.

Using the alternate methods for abv calculation (quick I understand is more accurate than the simpler traditional formula) this is already at 17% abv. I think the OP had a legitimate concern and the only surefire fix is an alcohol tolerant yeast.

Just trying to be logical and helpful here...

Checked again and I am still stuck at 1.032. I'll try and pick up a higher tolerant yeast and see if I can bring that down some. Thanks for all the help.

That puts you at 16.8% abv. You'll want to prep those yeast for the alcohol and pitch enough or they will be screwed the moment you pitch them. Save some of your starter and use a thief to drop a bit of the beer into the vessel. Do a forced ferment at 80° to see what the fg should be. This will give you an idea of when to bottle, although the actual beer may not attenuate quite as far as the forced ferment, it should be close.

I have a WLP099 coming tomorrow or Wednesday. Will do a starter and drop that one in, see what it can do.

Back