Oatmeal Stout high FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r_marczak_83

Reaction score
My oatmeal stout has been in primary fermenter for 2 weeks. I went to bottle today and had an FG of 1.019. My OG was 1.042. Will this be weak?
Am I missing something?

abv is a hair over 3%

If you post your recipe and process, you can get some critique.

It was a Midwest supplies oatmeal stout kit. I followed the instructions and expected an abv of closer to 4.5%.
After fermentation stopped (3days after it started) I let it set in the primary for an additional week. Then now decided to bottle, since there was no more activity.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I just bottled an oatmeal stout extract kit that I did from Brewer's Best. The FG on mine was 1.019 as well.

I did an oatmeal stout as well, an extract kit which I purchased from my LHBS and it ended at 1.021. I hear that extract batches sometimes halt at the 1.020 range because of infermentable sugars, however No guarantee this is the case.

I just bottled an oatmeal stout extract kit that I did from Brewer's Best. The FG on mine was 1.019 as well.

Well I guess it's the norm then. I'll just wait and drink it it looks like.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Good final gravity. Post recipe so we can help you estimate SG and also your process. I have a feeling it may have been higher than your reading. I take mine warm sometimes and make an adjustment.

Listen to Yooper and others above. Unfermentables and thicker body. My AG recipe also stops at about 19... every time. Possibly due to how much oatmeal is in the mash as well as some of the coloring grains. I tend to use a relatively high amount of oatmeal.

Latest posts

Back