silicone one way stoppers????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

illinoisbrassman

Reaction score
Anybody use the silicone flap type stoppers for long term aging of beer/wine? I am thinking about getting a couple for long term storage, after vigorous fermentation is over. Pro's / Con's? do you like them?

I use them with no problems at all, at a certain point, you can replace them with the solid silicone stopper.

Silicone lets a lot of oxygen to pass. Rubber is the best choice, although an airlock allows oxygen to pass as well (I believe less than the silicone, though).

I have one of them and I like using it for longer fermentations. Its also nice you can boil it after for total sanitation

Silicone lets a lot of oxygen to pass. Rubber is the best choice, although an airlock allows oxygen to pass as well (I believe less than the silicone, though).

Yes, that's one reason I don't like to use them for long term. They are very quick to allow oxygen to permeate. Still, if the wine is topped up appropriately, it may not be a huge risk, especially if the wine is sulfited at intervals as well.

Anybody use the silicone flap type stoppers for long term aging of beer/wine? I am thinking about getting a couple for long term storage, after vigorous fermentation is over. Pro's / Con's? do you like them?

As far as the closure/stopper ... depends on how long term. Typical silicone is *not* a good choice for long term. Too permeable.
A Gum Rubber stopper (not neoprene) would be a better choice. (aka Gum Rubber, Natural Rubber, India Rubber)
There are also the single use polyethylene caps.
I'd stay away from PVC for sure. (BPA !)
Then there's the Better Bottle systems ... carboys and closures for longer term bulk storage. (btw the manufacture of BB carboys is very different than standard PETE carboys)

Not sure what your storage vessel is that you're looking to cap ... but like I say, depends on how "long term".

While I'm at it, as far as longer term storage ...

There's also Speidel plastic tanks (made of HDPE) these have their own caps and come up to 31 gallons (these btw are good fermenters too ... they basically replace the standard carboy).

Then there is stainless steel ...

There are medium-term-storage stainless tanks such made by Fustini (often just called "fusti") ... not suitable for real, true, long term storage though due to potential issues with the threads on the top. But they work pretty well.

Then there are variable volume Stainless Steel tanks ... a whole different beast ... with their own issues, modifications and maintenance. Much cursing. I digress. From 13'ish gallons up to a few hundred gallons. Common, popular, flexible in use, a good choice ... but a commitment of sorts. Speidel makes some - other various brands too.

Then there are wood barrels ... and of course then one needs the wine cave ...

Most wineries use solid silicone bungs on their barrels. Food for thought.

Yep. Good point. But they're *not* using the lesser ones most of us see at the Vinting/Brewing supply.
The commercial brand on barrels, typically Echo or Boswell or Alasco, are made to a higher specification.
The better made ones generally will most often have to be ordered online (one can check with Napa Fermentation ... napafermentation dot com, for a nice selection).

And back to the Original Posters question about using the ferm-rite style (the one with a flap) ... yep, that is sometime used for longer term storage too. Again, better manufactured and from better quality material.

Back