New refrigerator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dhelegda

Reaction score
I just picked up a new refrigerator today to lager and condition kegs in. In order to lager, what level, 1 being cold 5 being coldest, would you set it to to lager?

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

just set it to a level and put a cup of water and a thermometer in there and leave it over night and check the temp. then adjust to the temp you want. or just get a temp controller.

I would get a temp controller and set it as low as you can, you will get the fastest cooling times that way with no chance of frozen beer.

Every fridge is different, so you'll need to do some trial. get a cheap thermometer (like the ones you hang outside) and check the temps at the different levels. On my beer fridge, I think level 3 = 40°F, so that's where I leave it when I have kegs in there. For lagering, you'd want it nearer 33°.

I am not sure you can get a refrigerator to go cool enough for ideal lagering temperatures. Even if it will it would put a lot of stress on the compressor to keep the temperatures that low. Ideal meaning just above freezing at the end of the lagering stage.

Well fermenting I can keep it in the fridge. And lower it. I can also transfer the carboy to my freezer chest to finish it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back