What is a Session IPA?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
OK, I've seen this name used a lot recently, I've even used it, but what defines a Session IPA?

To me it has been a lower gravity beer (under 1.050) brewed dry like an IPA, with the same hopping rate as a big beer.

Any thoughts?

I agree. A "lower" abv ipa that is really just a hoppy pale ale. Not a big fan of the term myself. Seems like a marketing gimmick to get more people to like ipas but to me it's a facade. People should embrace ipas as they are. But hey, if it gets more people try different beers, the more power too session ipas or any "faux" style.

A "session" IPA is much cheaper to make than a high ABV IPA, so it is a brilliant marketing move. Sell for the same price, and people can drink more of them.

I don't know about "much" cheaper. Since you're still using a boatload of late hops, and hops expensive, especially compared to malt, the cost difference isn't all that substantial.

But yes, low alcohol IPA, (or extra hopped pale ale if you want to call it that). Of course, half of your "pale ales" this days would qualify as IPAs in terms of hop levels. Not my normal styles in any case so I don't bother myself with the semantics of it.

Seems like a marketing gimmick to get more people to like ipas but to me it's a facade.
I'd go in a different direction. I've been to enough bars that have three IPAs on tap without a single Pale Ale to believe that they need the gimmick to sell regular old Pale Ale.

Another thought. Anchor Liberty used to be considered an IPA. Backcountry Brewing in Frisco, Colorado has an awesome Pale Ale that also used to be sold as an IPA. Is Session IPA just a throwback to the way IPA was made 20 or 30 years ago?

I think it's just a marketing term for a hoppy pale ale.

I think a session IPA distinguishes itself from a hoppy pale on two points:

1. A pale is usually brewed with hops and maltiness somewhat in balance (though, I will admit, today's "balanced" may be yester-year's hop-bomb; that's a different discussion), while the session IPA, like its big brother, is brewed to showcase hops at the expense of malty character
  2. A pale usually lands somewhere in the mid-5's to low-6's in ABV, while a real session IPA shouldn't clear the low 4's

As your typical West Coast hophead who still sometimes likes to get stuff done in the evening after a beer with dinner, or, gawd forbid, drive home from the brewery, these perhaps-subtle distinctions make all the difference; trendy though they may be, the session IPA is a trend I'm happy to see and hope to see continue.

I always thought "session" just meant that it was a moniker, so you could drink more for flavor than getting wasted. With the growing trend in making high ABV IPAs, you can drink these, especially after some grueling yard work without passing out. +1 on the brilliant marketing either way.

I don't know about "much" cheaper. Since you're still using a boatload of late hops, and hops expensive, especially compared to malt, the cost difference isn't all that substantial.

However, with less malt, you need less bittering hops for the same IBU's, so you do save a little on hops. But, little if any, savings on flavor/aroma hops where the IBU contribution is low.

Brew on :mug:

I have no idea! I'd say it's a pale ale? I make beer all the time with plenty of hops. I want the taste and aroma. I always call them an ipa not pale, regardless of the abv.

To a lot of normal people, craft beer comes in three flavors: wheat, belgian, and IPA. Girls drink wheats, Belgians are funky, IPAs taste good but make it hard to balance on a bar stool.

I love session beers of all types, so it is a welcome trend for me. The rise of the imperial sour Brett gluten free beer has worn out its welcome, in my opinion.

I've seen session Russian vodka, Canadian whiskey, German schnapps, Japanese sake, Kentucky Bourbon, Yankee jack, and Irish whisky. IPA can be session in my book.

One of the biggest selling beers in the UK is Greene King IPA at 3.6% ABV, although I think they use the IPA term somewhat loosely and certainly wouldn't qualify as one here.

Haven't had one yet that didn't taste like hop water.

Show restraint and drink your IPA a little slower.:p

Session means low abv. It should have all the flavor and mouthfeel with less alcohol.

However, with less malt, you need less bittering hops for the same IBU's, so you do save a little on hops. But, little if any, savings on flavor/aroma hops where the IBU contribution is low.

Brew on :mug:

:off:

And you'll also need less IBUs to maintain the appropriate balance. So yes, the bittering hops will be lower. But given that commercially the use of super-alpha hops or isoalpha extract is prominent, and the bulk of the hop matter is still in late hops, the overall change in hop weight isn't going to be huge. A factor, but not a big one.

Point is, yes a session IPA will save money over a regular IPA, but not as much as you'd think, and not as much as the savings would be in non-hoppy styles.

One of the biggest selling beers in the UK is Greene King IPA at 3.6% ABV, although I think they use the IPA term somewhat loosely and certainly wouldn't qualify as one here.

If you read Ron Patinson's work you'll learn that in English brewing history, there is little to any across the board distinction between IPA and Pale Ale. As in, one brewer would call a Pale Ale what another called and IPA, and vice versa, and sometimes the same brewer could even call the same beer a Pale Ale one day and an IPA the next.

I have a feeling that's where Greene King IPA comes from. And as far as I'm aware, it's considered a classic example of Bitter, not IPA.

So yes, doesn't really qualify as an IPA for style purposes.

I'd go in a different direction. I've been to enough bars that have three IPAs on tap without a single Pale Ale to believe that they need the gimmick to sell regular old Pale Ale.

Another thought. Anchor Liberty used to be considered an IPA. Backcountry Brewing in Frisco, Colorado has an awesome Pale Ale that also used to be sold as an IPA. Is Session IPA just a throwback to the way IPA was made 20 or 30 years ago?

Ive been to backcountry (my brother lives near there). There were hit or miss in my opinion and those that were with me. Now broken compass in Breck was awesome.

I get what you are saying though and it is interesting.

I've had session IPAs from Stone and from Languanitas. If anyone could do the "style" right, these guys should be among them. Both are absolutely boring. I love a very pale IPA. However, in both cases these were far more pale than any of thier true IPA brethren from the same brew houses. FG left much to be desired. They really need to be more like Pale Ales; a little more body and some malt character would make them good beers.

I totally agree on more body and malt backbone. All of them seem extremely thin, I'd say they tend to be more like a hop juice than a beer.

They really need to be more like Pale Ales; a little more body and some malt character would make them good beers.

Then they would BE pale ales. :)

Have you tried Easy Jack from Firestone Walker? It's even better than Stone's GoTo or Lagunitas' Fractional DayPart (assuming those are the two you were referring to).

I think the style is great for what it is. Sometimes I want a hoppy beer, without all the alcohol/fullness so the session ipa really hits the spot. I think there is a very small niche in between the APA and the IPA for this sub-style.

And, it was great for a pre ski-run at the lake. When I went down hard and took in some water the burps were more hops than lake water.

Yes, they would BE pale ales, and they'd be better for it. I think the niche between APA and IPA covers a certain class of beers that could also be called "Bad American Pale Ale's."

I don't get Firestone Walker here, but I'd certainly try it if I could.

Its hop dominant and muted malts, like an IPA. Calling it a hoppy ape is just wrong. Adding more hops to an apa is not going to give you a good example of a session IPA. A good example of a session IPA is:

lower gravity than most pale ales (Sierra Nevada pale ale is 5.6%, Stone Go To and Fat Heads Sunshine Daydream are <4.5%),

the classic examples of Pale Ales are nicely balanced with moderate bitterness and balanced hop and malt flavor, IPAs and Session IPAs have bite up front and muted malts flavor at the finish

A hoppy pale ale....is....a hoppy pale ale

I love me a good balanced APA, and. Good IPA with a kick, and a sharp, light and little session IPA.

Every SIPA I've tried has been thin with zero body and disappointing mouth feel. If that's the best they can do with it I'd rather just stick with regular IPAs and APAs.

Its hop dominant and muted malts, like an IPA. Calling it a hoppy ape is just wrong. Adding more hops to an apa is not going to give you a good example of a session IPA. A good example of a session IPA is:

lower gravity than most pale ales (Sierra Nevada pale ale is 5.6%, Stone Go To and Fat Heads Sunshine Daydream are <4.5%),

the classic examples of Pale Ales are nicely balanced with moderate bitterness and balanced hop and malt flavor, IPAs and Session IPAs have bite up front and muted malts flavor at the finish

I love me a good balanced APA, and. Good IPA with a kick, and a sharp, light and little session IPA.

^^^
Nailed it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

^
Nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

It shouldn't taste like hop water. That's just bad brewing
From every one I've tasted, it not bad brewing. It's simply a bad idea.

For me, there's a balance of hop, malt and alcohol that define an IPA. You can mess with the color and yeast character and still maintain that balance. Without the alcohol it becomes a poor attempt to make it into something it will never be.

It's all preference. If someone doesn't like it, it doesn't mean it shouldn't exist. Dictating what should be brewed and drank is a worse idea.

I enjoy a balanced IPA as well, even if the trend is very much towards a very hop dominant effect on them now. The idea is a muted, dry beer lets the layered flavors and aromas of different types of hops to show through. You don't want all of those late hop additions competing with malt. but give me a sharply bitter and malty IPA with just a bunch of Cascade and i'll drunk the snot out of that as well.

Founder's "All Day IPA" is a session. It rings in at 4.7% ABV. I drink a boat load of it every chance I get. Great Grapefruit bite that morphs into Cascade as it slides to the back of your throat!

If a session IPA is a hoppier Pale Ale, wouldn't that make it an Imperial Pale Ale? :drunk:

Generally they have more hops, but not more malt/alcohol.

Founder's "All Day IPA" is a session. It rings in at 4.7% ABV. I drink a boat load of it every chance I get. Great Grapefruit bite that morphs into Cascade as it slides to the back of your throat!

I agree. Perfect example. Sierra Nevada Pale is also a good example, although not dry hopped and a little stronger than Founders. It is still a good hoppy pale that isn't as strong as most craft IPA's..... which seem to fall at 6.5 or higher.

From every one I've tasted, it not bad brewing. It's simply a bad idea.

For me, there's a balance of hop, malt and alcohol that define an IPA. You can mess with the color and yeast character and still maintain that balance. Without the alcohol it becomes a poor attempt to make it into something it will never be.

It's not a bad idea, you just have to accept it for what it is.
And you're right, an IPA has a balance of hops, malt and to some extent alcohol (or maybe better stated - mouthfeel). BUT, a session IPA isn't supposed to have that. It's focused on the hop aroma and flavor with a lighter body so they are sessionable.

Of course, some drink IPAs like they are water already so for them it is a moot point :cross:

Point being - this discussion could be IPAs vs session IPAs (liek it is) or East Coast IPAs vs West Coast IPAs, etc.
As always, it comes down to personal preference and there's enough styles for everybody to enjoy what they like.

Cheers.

As your typical West Coast hophead who still sometimes likes to get stuff done in the evening after a beer with dinner, or, gawd forbid, drive home from the brewery, these perhaps-subtle distinctions make all the difference; trendy though they may be, the session IPA is a trend I'm happy to see and hope to see continue.

I'm in agreement here. Usually if I have things to do but want to have a few beers while I'm working (and continue to be productive), I'm stuck buying some BMC. It really serves no purpose other than quenching my thirst if I don't want water.

Having something like a Session IPA available is a big plus in my book. You get to enjoy most of the qualities an IPA provides, without having to settle for drinking a flavorless light lager. I'm not bashing BMC, as I feel it has its own special place, but I don't reach for it when i crave a beer.

Latest posts

Back