Mods? Major spam attack!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
Please please upgrade the spam filter/spam protection!! This is a commercial forum invest in it please.

Regards. Aamcle

Please please upgrade the spam filter/spam protection!! This is a commercial forum invest in it please.

Regards. Aamcle

We do. They get through sometimes. We're dealing with it.

So much for spam filters!!! Its happened again. I have even been spammed by PM on this forum something that I have never ever experienced on any other forum in all the years I have been a member of them.

It seems apparent from the nature of the messages that they are automated, there are plenty of BlackHat tools that do that, and are probably an outdated method of SEO. I've not seen the like on other forums for a long time, certainly not in the number and frequently seen on this site.

The bottom line is that others can keep them (the spamers) out so you can too if your willing to spend a few $$.

You're letting down your legitimate advertisers and the forum members whose presence brings in the advertising revenue.

Please do better!

Aamcle

So much for spam filters!!! Its happened again. I have even been spammed by PM on this forum something that I have never ever experienced on any other forum in all the years I have been a member of them.

It seems apparent from the nature of the messages that they are automated, there are plenty of BlackHat tools that do that, and are probably an outdated method of SEO. I've not seen the like on other forums for a long time, certainly not in the number and frequently seen on this site.

The bottom line is that others can keep them (the spamers) out so you can too if your willing to spend a few $$.

You're letting down your legitimate advertisers and the forum members whose presence brings in the advertising revenue.

Please do better!

Aamcle

Perhaps you should consider becoming a supporting member to help defer some of said costs?! :D

Perhaps you should consider becoming a supporting member to help defer some of said costs?! :D

just being a regular un-supporting member helps pay the bills. every time one of us, non paying members clicks on a link, adds a response, or makes a thread, it adds to the value of advertising space on the forum. Add space value is determined by number of threads, posts and members on a board, along with some other considerations.

We do. They get through sometimes. We're dealing with it.

I don't recall the exact sign up process but I was on a very private forum earlier. It is almost exclusively invitation only. They had the system set-up in such a fashion that each new member would need to be verified before they receive a confirmation email.

Double edged sword? Yes. Yes indeed. It effectively prevents the "search and destroy" after spammers have arrived. It also puts more work into the hands of our already swamped moderators.

Another thing is that it could scare off potential community members. Anyone who applies and sees "Please wait while your application is reviewed" might just bail out entirely and not come back. Alienating newcomers is no way to make friends.

Just something that I thought of when I saw this thread. Gives something to think about at the very least.

Yeah, that aspect of it does make things harder. But if they're using outdated software, you'd think they'd get blocked easier than they are? It's gotta be some kind of spam-bot.

Back