English Barleywine critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jpeebs

Reaction score
This is literally the first recipe I've ever created all on my own and I'm interested in some feedback.

17 lbs Maris otter
1 lb Pale Malt - 2 row UK
.5 lb caramel/crystal
1 oz admiral (90 min)
1 oz East Kent Goldings (45 min)
.5 oz fuggle (30 min)
.5 oz Fuggle (10 min)
Wyeast 1318 - London ale III (with starter)

Did some research and kinda just threw it together to be honest. Ingredients feel correct, completely guessed on amounts...Insight is appreciated!

17 lbs Maris otter
1 lb Pale Malt - 2 row UK
there isn't a huge difference between these two malts, and one pound of pale isn't going to be very noticeable with 17 pounds of MO. no harm in keeping it, but i don't think it will bring much to the table.

.5 lb caramel/crystal
how big a batch are you making, and what OG are you aiming for? a half pound of crystal seems low. a full pound is more typical. you could add some complexity by using a half pound of two different crystals, say something in the 40 range and another in the 80-100 rage. if you're going to boil for 2+ hours your low amount of crystal makes sense.

use an English crystal, not an american one.

Wyeast 1318 - London ale III (with starter)
BIG starter!

Going for 5 gallons. Recipe as it stands will have an OG of 1.100 according to beersmith. I debated on more caramel. Maybe I'll toss the 2 row and up the Carmel to 2 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Bre

Going for 5 gallons. Recipe as it stands will have an OG of 1.100 according to beersmith. I debated on more caramel. Maybe I'll toss the 2 row and up the Carmel to 2 pounds.

I'm going to give you the opposite advice on the crystal malt. A big beer like a barleywine will tend to have some residual sweetness anyway. Go easy on the crystal malt. Your original 1/2 lb is plenty IMO. I'd even consider dropping it to 1/4 lb and using a dark type (100-150L) for some English toffee-like background flavor. You may also want to try an extended boil time (90-120 min) for color enhancement.

I had planned on 90 minute. What will 120 minute do for me and how would I adjust my hop schedule?

The extra time will just boil off more water and concentrate your sugars more, which darkens the color. You may also get some other reactions to darken the wort, but they will be extremely minor compared to wort concentration.

As far as hopping, your schedule always stays the same. So if you boil 120 min, just add your 1st addition after 30min of boiling.

Latest posts

Back