Carbonation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schiddy

Reaction score
Have a quick question about carbonating soda. I made my first soda recently using soda extract from the brew store, table sugar, and chimay yeast slurry. I bottled them in 1 liter reused soda bottles and left them for a week. The bottles felt very stiff. Put them in the fridge for 3+ days. Tons of co2 came out when opening but the soda was absolutely still.

I know these are the wrong kind of bottles to use but I've seen videos of people at least getting carbonation. Did I do something wrong? Any makeshift way I can carbonate with yeast? I can't buy kegging equipment at this point in time.

Not sure 3 days was a long enough chill to get the high co2 volume absorbed into the soda, try a few more days

Very stiff or rock hard? It might not have enough co2. Give it more time at room temp.

I've had this happen when I used a ginger bug to ferment, but not with fresh packaged yeast. Maybe chimay is similar??

I'm pretty sure it was. Definitely big rush of air escaping when opening too but no bubbles.

There's nothing wrong with using those kind of bottles, btw.

Like I said, I have had that problem with cultured wild yeast/ginger bug. It seems like it takes longer for some reason. I would try leaving it out at room temp a little longer, then refrigerate. Even at this point, you might be able to warm it up, swirl the yeast back up, and let it go a couple of days. Maybe inside something, so that when (I mean if) it explodes, it isn't dangerous or messy.

Back