First brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm about to begin my first brew and was wondering if any of you brewing veterans had some advice? I want to make my cider pretty dry and slightly tart.

I've have one foot into the "I'm a brewer" room, or maybe a leg now, but I'm think'n the veterans here might be wondering which subject matter you are asking about. Recipe? Sanitation? Fermentation/yeast? Specific supplies or equipment(s)? I might recommend being a bit more specific, as I've asked that very same question about a year ago and learned that there is a lot of information out here and that being specific will get you some great answers/information!

Good luck on your 1st go!

OK well more specifically, I have all my equipment and know how to sanitize. I'm more interested in sugar types, fermentation temperature, and racking.

Go with straight apple juice. I look at Costco, Sam's or Walmart.

Then add Nottimham yeast.

Give it 2 weeks and enjoy!

I like dry, tart cider and this is honestly how easy it is to make good, dry, tart cider.

I like to rack it onto 1lb of raspberries or blackberries per gallon. I buy the frozen and then thaw them out in some additional apple juice before I rack it over. The raspberry or blackberry really adds some flavor and ups the tartness.

I use coscto fresh pressed juice and 2 or 3 frozen cans of concentrate per 5 gallons. makes it more apple flavored and boost abv. Nottingham is the only yeast to use imo and iv'e tried a few. If you want to back sweeten use campden tablets and potassium sorbate to stabilize and add apple juice concentrate to taste.

Back