1 Gallon Triple Berry Melomel Question (Help)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

damnsaltyham

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I made my first melomel today but I think I could have added too much fruit. I added 3lbs of frozen triple berry mix and 2.5 pounds of honey to my one gallon jug. Topped it off with water, leaving the proper space for fermentation. The OG was 1.140. I used K1-V116 yeast. It just seems very thick, I pitched the yeast about 6 hours ago, nothing happening yet but I know how these things can go. Just wondering if 3lbs was too much fruit for a 1 gallon batch?

I brew beer and have made several wines but I have to say I am new to the world of mead.

Thanks!

Well, I think I have my answer. I woke up at 6am to find it had blow out the bung and airlock in our second bedroom. Triple Berry (raspberries, blueberries and strawberries) mix ALL over the place. I rushed to put a blow off tube on it (which I should have done to begin with) and then I started scrubbing (ceiling, carpets, walls, brewing equip, etc) before my wife woke up. :mad: Needless to say, I have lost some volume. This has happened to me once before with a barleywine, It blew the blow off tube out. It fermented out ok and turned out very tasty but I didn't lose as much volume.

TLDR, I lost volume, can I just top it off with sterilized water after it is done with vigorous fermentation?

GO COLTS! :mug:

Thanks,
Casey

I'd top off with a honey/water mix of the same OG, so as not to "dilute" the mead...

Anytime. I'd add to primary so as to minimize loss to lees, as adding to secondary will likely cause refermentation...and hence more lees.

Back