Help with thermostat controlled brewing cabinet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kombucat

Reaction score
I keep running into need for temperature controlled brewing cabinets.
ATM im just trying to get my kombucha groove on, beer and wine down the road. Ive been looking online for a good temp control design but none seem to really fit the bill for me. I was hoping some of the smart folks here could describe what I need for a simple setup.

The criteria:
- A heat source suitable for heating a wooden cabinet (perhaps small ceramic type room heater from walmart?)

- A thermostat controller to control heating and cooling (basic household type or peehaps a digital PID controller?)

- A temperature display of some sort

- Simple computer fan type cooling/venting. Doesnt really need a cooler as its very cold here generally.

- Emergency overheat shutoff, preferably with audible alarm to avoid burning my house down lol

All this as low cost as possible, pretty tight budget here.
Thanks again for any help !

I use a Ranco dual stage controller for overall control on
My ale ferM chamber. The fridge part of my chamber does the cooling & I installed a std bulb fixture w/ a ceramic bulb ( reptile cage type) so no light worries or fire. I've had one of those w/ a cheap Wally World heater. I use a basic clip on fan for air circulation.
On my lager ferm chamber I use a single stage Auber controller since heating isn't an issue. Again, a basic clip on fan for good circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I use a Ranco dual stage controller for overall control on
My ale ferM chamber. The fridge part of my chamber does the cooling & I installed a std bulb fixture w/ a ceramic bulb ( reptile cage type) so no light worries or fire. I've had one of those w/ a cheap Wally World heater. I use a basic clip on fan for air circulation.
On my lager ferm chamber I use a single stage Auber controller since heating isn't an issue. Again, a basic clip on fan for good circulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Oh nice! I was looking at the Auber controllers as an option. Light fixture and ceramic heat emitter, I like that idea a lot!

Thanks!

Here's a construction picture of my cold-season ferm cabinet, along with the 100W resistor heater array I built from parts on hand. The cabinet was designed to hold fermenters on the left side (the shelves on the left are adjustable and one can be removed for a pair of 6.5g carboys) along with four cases of bottles in full-extension drawers for conditioning, and still have a bit of gear storage. Since I switched to kegging years ago the drawers are crammed full of gear now.

I run the heater with a single-stage Ranco with the probe strapped to a carboy and insulated with 1" closed cell foam. Works great...

Cheers!

brewery_24.jpg

brewery_41.jpg

Wow I really like that setup. These ranco comtrollers... I was looking and there seems to be quote a few modles with various prices. Which ones should a person look at for jist simple thermostat control, heater and vent fan ? And ive heard you can just use a standard cheap manual theromstat like any jardware store carries. Like the type that controls wall heaters. Yet I dont see a lot of people using these. Is there any issue with using one ?

Day trippr do you happen to have a picture of the front of those caninet doors. Im also building my own cabinet from scratch and I love the way yours is put together. Thanks again ! :D

Wow I really like that setup. These ranco comtrollers... I was looking and there seems to be quote a few modles with various prices. Which ones should a person look at for jist simple thermostat control, heater and vent fan ? And ive heard you can just use a standard cheap manual theromstat like any jardware store carries. Like the type that controls wall heaters. Yet I dont see a lot of people using these. Is there any issue with using one ?

You could use a room thermostat - I originally powered that resistor array with a cheap Honeywell room thermostat meant for electric baseboard heating (you cannot use the type of thermostat that governs gas or oil heating systems - those are very low current 24VAC units).

But I've come to prefer metering my vessels - whether carboys in ferm chambers/fridges or kegs in cold-conditioning/carbing fridge or keezer dispenser. And that requires a remote probe - not a feature found in typical room thermostats.

The single-stage Ranco ETC-11000 will do the job for a ferm cabinet that only needs heating control. I will say, however, that there are less expensive solutions (MH1210, WillHi 7016, even STC-1000) that might be considered. After all, unless you pay for someone else to wire up the controller, all of these will need wiring to be functional...

Cheers!

Wow that is really a fantastic looking cabinet. I take it the top under the formica is plywood with a routered wood frame sort of like the frame on the doors ?

I started with a 2x4 base topped with plywood, then pocket-screwed the 1x3 bones together to form the frame. Skinned it with luan, topped it with plywood, insulated with rigid foam, then installed the interior components.

You'd think there'd be a ton of routing but except for the doors everything is just butt-jointed or lapped.
You can see I'm a huge fan of pocket screws...

Cheers!

brewery_05.jpg

brewery_06.jpg

brewery_07.jpg

brewery_08.jpg

Latest posts

Back