stout recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vabites

Reaction score
I just worked out a recipe for my next brew day. This will be my first all-grain stout. I brewed an extract/partial grain kit back in January and am very happy with it, but now that I'm doing all grain and building my own recipes...If you have any thoughts, please let me know!

Title: Ye Olde Stout

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Stout (Sweet?)
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 7.5 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.044
Efficiency: 71% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.060
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.78%
IBU (tinseth): 20.92
SRM (morey): 40

FERMENTABLES:
4 lb - American - Pale 2-Row - Toasted (26.9%)
4 lb - American - Roasted Barley (26.9%)
2 lb - American - Black Barley (13.5%)
1.85 lb - American - Dark Chocolate (12.5%)
3 lb - Flaked Barley (20.2%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 3.63
1 oz - Kent Goldings, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 50 min, IBU: 17.3

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
1 each - wirflock, Time: 45 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Wyeast - Irish Ale 1084 X 2
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 73%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 62 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 68 F
Pitch Rate: 0.50 - 0.75 (M cells / ml / deg P)

Might be pretty high percentage Dark Chocolate. I've heard of 6% at a higher end.. but, this is double that. Others will weigh in.

that is a lot of dark roasted grains. I'm using one 55lb sack of two row, 2lbs of chocolate, 4lbs of C60; mine turns out thick and dark

If you're "toasting" the entire volume of base malt, I'd be concerned you won't get any conversion. I agree that your roasted barley and black are way, way too high. Are you really only at 40 SRM from that?

"Typically, if 2–3% of your grist is roasted barley, you should get a very distinctive flavor. Aside from our porter and imperial stout, we have used roasted barley in our brown ale with a great deal of success."

and...

"The rule of thumb for using any dark malt is “a little dab will do ya.” For nut brown ales, this means 2*–4% of the total grist. For stouts and porters, use no more than 10%. If you overdue it, a sharp acrid and acidic flavor, not to mention a tar-like quality, will definitely challenge the consumer. It will also make balancing the hops difficult."

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/1559-using-roasted-barley-tips-from-the-pros

Yeah over 50% dark roasted malts would be an acrid mess I'd expect. In general base malts should make up something like 70-100% of your recipe. How about more like this:

12 lb 2 row
0.5 -.75 lb black barley or roasted barley
.75 lb chocolate
1 lb flaked barley

I would only toast a lb or so of the 2 -row. I guess it would be a sweet stout with those IBU's but in that case you'd probably want to throw in some crystal too.

How about:

7 lbs 2-row
2 lbs flaked barley
1 lb toasted 2-row
1 lb roasted barley

I've found to make the best stout you need the best roasted barley. I don't care for Hugh Baird's. My favorite is Crisp at 7% with 7% caraaroma too. CaraAroma is not so sweet like American crystal malt and it adds is's own kind of roasted flavors.
https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/tomahawk-4

I can attest, through personal unfortunate experience, that more than 20% of your grist as roasted barley and black malt will turn out to be an acrid mess indeed.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's what I'd do if I were you:

74% base malt
8% flaked barley
6% roasted
7% chocolate malt
5% caramel 80

OG of 1.060 is good but I'd up the IBU's to 25 or 30... It still won't be bitter at all, but you def need balance with a stout. And that's coming from a malt head, not a hop head

Wow! That recipe made my eyes pop out of my head.

My sweet stout is:
71% 2 row
11% victory
6% special b
4% roasted barley
4% chocolate malt
4% torrified wheat
Plus a 1/2lb lactose

That works out to 1/2lb each of chocolate malt and roasted barley for a 1.065 OG beer.

thanks for all of the input! A friend sent me a recipe for a clone of the left hand milk stout and I've decided to go that way.

Now how do I delete my own thread????

Latest posts

Back