Imperial IPA Projected IBU

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TylerCPrice

Reaction score
I made an Imperial IPA recipe in Brewtoad today and was alittle shocked at the projected IBUs. Their software says it will land at around 199. This seems incredibly high to me and Im curious if I entered something incorrectly. I plan on doing this beer next weekend so I'd like to get it figured out before then. This will be my first Imperial IPA though I have been brewing IPAs a couple times a month since I started brewing about a year ago. Heres the link to the Brewtoad recipe.

https://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/imperial-ipa-1-7

Ha, could it be the 3.5 OUNCES of high-alpha hops boiled for 90 minutes? I like hops and all, but that doesn't sound too tasty to me. Move some of that later in the boil, maybe?

If your recipe is based on Pliny The Elder then it looks perfect to me. Pliny is delicious, just wish I was able to get it here in Chicago

I'd say to move most of the hops to the 15-0 range. That way you will get more flavor and aroma.

Back