Pests that chew hop cones

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FourSeasonAngler

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Took a quick look this morning at my hop cones on my CTZ & Centennial bines. I didn't have time to take a picture but the cones that are at about head height have the lower 1/3rd of the cone chewed off at a diagonal angle.

Does anyone know of a pest that would actually chew/eat the cones? Squirrels maybe is all I could think of...

If I get a chance to tonight I will take a few quick pictures and add them.

These are the best I could get yesterday.

10582901_671469219611109_2799885272280861188_o.jpg
[/IMG]

10460886_671469222944442_711323123801931697_o.jpg

I've seen that too. It looked like something found the plant, tried a couple, then decided they weren't that great and moved on. Would like to know what does it though.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've seen that too on some of my hops. The two insects I've narrowed it down from what I've seen on my hops are either Japanese beetles or crickets. Doesn't happen to many of them luckily

I had the same thing this year. They were hop loopers.

Are any of them sorta filled in with webbing/cocoon and wrapped to a leaf or another cone?

No, holy crap no. That looks horrible what those things did to your cones.

It wasn't all of the cones, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be many more. It was late in the season and they only messed with Centennial, so I didn't do anything except pull the pupae/caterpillars I found and fed them to my bluegills.

The half that wasn't chewed developed normally.... So don't tell anybody that they are going in my future beer.

No, holy crap no. That looks horrible what those things did to your cones.

It wasn't all of the cones, but I wouldn't have wanted it to be many more. It was late in the season and they only messed with Centennial, so I didn't do anything except pull the pupae/caterpillars I found and fed them to my bluegills.

The half that wasn't chewed developed normally.... So don't tell anybody that they are going in my future beer.

Had this same problem too, lost 25% of my Centennials to these damn caterpillars. Anyone know what they are/hot to control?

Had this same problem too, lost 25% of my Centennials to these damn caterpillars. Anyone know what they are/hot to control?

The ones I had were Hop Loopers. I used some Bonide Garden Dust or Bonide Capt. Jack's (both are "organic"), put a Tbsp of powder in a hand spritzer with some water, and used the jet to spray the plants.

Took care of the Loopers, but probably a lot of other bugs as well. This reminds me I gotta check mine again soon. :mug:

Back