Asl-51 timer/ counter with flowmeter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nisk916

Reaction score
I have been accumulating parts for my ongoing project of semi- automating my brewstand. So far the pids and wiring is not an issue, but rather a hair-brained idea.
BbI would like to have an easy water fill for my HLT; as in program a counter to fill ten gallons via a solenoid valve and flowmeter.
I stumbled on the ASL-51 on auber's site. From the literature in the manual, it seems that it could be used as a countdown timer that counts the flowmeter signal and uses a multiplier to correct signals, then closes valve at predetermined value. I found some inexpensive flowmeters that are a three wire that would appear to work once everything is calibrated.
I see so many people on the forum use the asl-51 as a timer, but nothing as a counter. Anyone have experience in this application? Do you think it is as straightforward as I believe? Been waiting to pull the trigger on the counter until I have this fully figured out.....

Should work, just need to figure how many pulses say 5 gallons are then it seems the meter can divide to give you the actual reading.

That's what I was figuring. I plumbed my water system today, and did a low pressure test. The flowmeter is leaking along its seams, so I may scrap the idea until I find a better meter to use. Luckily, its easy to delete for now.

Back