Four (4) Packs Of US-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LJvermonster

Reaction score
Hi all,

I created a Heady Topper clone on Brewer's Friend and when I went to calculate the amount of dry yeast it said I would need 44 g of US-05 Safale... Does that sounds right, four packets of dry years for a beer that has 1.85 OG?

Thanks!

Brewer's Friend uses a dramatically lower cell count for dry yeast than most other calculators, although you can adjust it. Most cell counts I have read about put 05 between 150 billion and 220 billion cells per packet, or between around 14 and 20 billion cells per gram. I tend to use the smaller of those 2 estimates, as that is what Fermentis claims is in there.

Just guessing here, but I think 2 packs would get you a decent pitch rate. Try adjusting the cell count in BF or use a different calc like Mr. Malty to compare.

I'd go with 2 packs as well. Technically you need 290 cells for a 5 gallon batch but I think 2 packs of US-05 will plow through that.
Maybe rehydrate it and give it a nice chance at a good strong start.

Thanks guys! 2 seems much more reasonable to me. On a side note, I've never rehydrated yeast, just pitched the dry yeast and have never had a problem with numbers... Is it definitely a much better practice to rehyrdate before pitching?

As mentioned, 2 packs should be good. Keep in mind the yeast plays a major role in this beer. The first time I made it, I used Edme ale yeast. The second time I used the Vermont Ale from Gigayeast. The difference was huge!

Rehydrating - I know they say you can sprinkle the yeast in but I almost always rehydrate with great results. This is a big beer - make sure you aerate to give the yeast a good start.

Re-hydrate according to the instructions on Fermentis website, and you'll have a very healthy pitch. Allegedly up to 50% of yeast cells don't make it if pitched dry.

Dry yeast needs to be awakened from hibernation slowly. When they are submerged into liquid the yeast cells cannot control what they absorb. If sugars are taken up too quickly it can damage or destroy the cells. Water awakens them without hurting them.
Furthermore, you have no idea what condition the yeast is in by the time you receive it. If you bought it from an unrefrigerated box at your lhbs it could have been sitting for a year or more. Perhaps it was shipped in the back of a 120 degree truck. Its likely that much of the yeast is already unviable by the time it gets to you so yes, its critical that you give yeast all the advantages you can.

Back