First year hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jksmith1

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have heard of several people not harvesting anything off of first year hops. It is mid July and I already have a lot of cones from multiple varieties. I have attached some pictures and am just curious if these are doing well for first year plants. Any insight would be great.

-=Smith=-

0719141922.jpg

0719141921b.jpg

They look like they are doing great for 1st year. Harvest away! For your reference, usually 1st year hops are a little grassy compared to the following years

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Thanks for the response Brian. Will the grassyness ruin my batches of beer, should I wait to use them until next year's harvest?

Make tea and see what you think of their flavor.

It's about the only way to be sure.

TeeJo

Those look very healthy.

I've got a decent first year Chinook that is also doing well for the Houston, Tx area. I've got some of the first hop cones that are starting to turn brown so I'm thinking I need to selectively pick the ones that are older and probably are a bit more "papery" feeling?

That sounds about right from everything that I have read. Papery feel to them, leaf tips browning, and a hoppy smell when you handle them. I have also read that they are ready to pick when they are squished and they do not bounce back to their full shape.

I don't get a ton of hop smell from them. I'm guessing it's just the first year and the awesome fragrance won't be around until year 2 and beyond. Need to do some reading.

Take a cone you think is done off and rip/cut it open tip to tail, you should be able to see tons of lupulin and it should get all over your hands, and be super bitter if you taste it.

The grassy thing isnt necessarily true, you get grass hops if you pick them too early(or dont dry them properly) and stale tasting hops if you pick them too late.

This is what it should look like
2013-08-27%2016.45.06.jpg

I will do this as soon as I get home today. Thanks FuzzeeWuzzee!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back