Acerglyn Methanol Production

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ElDochart

Reaction score
I am making a batch of wine, using only maple syrup as the sugar, with blackberries for flavoring. I am concerned with the possible production of Methanol as a by product of fermenting a product made of tree sap. My concern mainly comes from remembering that Methanol use to be made by the destructive distillation of wood (which, I know doesn't really relate to the sap, but I have a gut sorta concern about it).

Based on the little I know about the technical process, I think that it even if it did produce a little methanol, the fermenting process wouldn't produce enough to be a problem, but could someone with a little more chemistry knowledge than I have give their input?

Certain things produce more methanol than other things, I believe fruits are much higher than grains for example; but, there will always be a bit of methanol in your beer or wine. However, it is not an issue in beer and wine because it is not concentrated enough. You are correct, maple syrup has nothing to do with wood alcohol. Now if you are distilling this concoction, than methanol becomes an issue. However, if that is the case I have very little knowledge on the matter as I'm not a distiller and it would need to be addressed on a different forum as it violates HBT's rules.

Back