Ag Soldering (really brazing) OK for pressure?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srice

Reaction score
OK, I've got a hair brained scheme to make a couple of 1/6 barrel sankes (legally acquired) a bit more useful in my ball lock world.

Inspired by Bobby's (and other's) sanke fermenters, I am thinking about using a 2" TC x 1/2" MNPT adapter, a 1/2" NPT cross, some type of yet to be identified PRV and a couple of Tank Post & Dip Tube Nipple - Weld-in-Place - Stainless Steel - http://www.chicompany.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=3276 - in order to build a 2"TC Ball Lock adapter. This would allow me to remove the spear and chuck it and not have to deal with a sanke to ball lock adapter.

The plan is to chuck up the cross in my lathe and machine 2 of the 4 inlets to accept the post adapters. I would then silver braze the 2 adapters in place. A dip tube would be fabricated from 5/16" stainless tubing.

Assembly would be to attach the stainless cross to the TCx1/2" MNPT adapter. The cross outlet opposite the TC adapter would have the liquid out post and the dip tube extending into the keg. The other 2 cross outputs (horizontal) would have the gas in post and the PRV.

To use, I'd rack the beer into the keg, slap a TC gasket on the top and clamp the cross thingamig to the keg.

So, before I start down this path, why is this a stupid idea?

I did basically the same thing (I have a lathe too). The only difference was that I used a store-bought SS racking cane and a SS compression fitting (from Bobby) so that the cane can be slid up or down as needed to avoid trub.
I machined NPT to ball-lock post adapter for the gas-in, and clamped a hose to the cane with a ball-lock beer-out coupler on the end. I also made Ball-lock adapter for a cobra tap for taking samples.
I made two complete set ups. Fermenting in Sankes works great!
Got a pressure washer? Get a 90 deg tip and clean the insides of the keg with it... takes just minutes if you do it right after fermenting is done.

Thanks for the tip about the pressure washer - it is sitting in the garage and only gets used a couple of times a year.

The other hint I can offer is make yourself a roller for your kegs... a flat board with two sets of wheels so you can lay the keg on it's side and roll it to make cleaning the inside easier. Laying it on it's side lets the water flow out. Turn the spray nozzle tip so that the fan is 90 deg. to the keg, point it straight up and run the wand in and out. Every other stroke turn the keg a couple inches.
Once you get the hang of the angles you have to hit (along with the standard nozzle to get the bottom), it will only take a couple of minutes and well worth pulling out the pressure washer.

Ensure you are using the right filler metal, preferably cadmium free. You'll need either oxyacetylene, or mapp gas. Make sure you clean all the flux off after.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Latest posts

Back