Clear Epoxy Coating

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

novahokie09

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine the best method to preserve my keezer's copper top. I've read several builds and reviewed several products.

It seems that the epoxy products work fine at first and start to exhibit issues after a year. There's several reviews with users stating they've experienced delamination, UV-degradation and overall dissatisfaction within a years time.

Does anyone have an epoxy job lasting over a year or two without experiencing haze or delamination issues? If so, what brand did you use and general application methods.

I'd rather just keep applying thin coats of lacquer rather than repairing epoxy.

Thanks in advance.

I used envirotex lite high gloss epoxy on our kitchen countertops about a year ago. Still shiny, still in one piece. Very happy with that product. It'd be hard to judge any UV degradation, however, since the counter is black with gold/silver flecks in it. All I know is we beat the hell out of our counters and they still look great.

I ended up sanding with an orbital to rough it up a bit (120 grit), wiped it down, and mixed the two parts of the epoxy in a one gallon bucket. The key is to mix the absolute bajeezus out of it. I stirred for probably a good 5 minutes. Get the drill attachment to stir, and don't fuss with it once its covering everything, it self-levels to a mirror finish.

Good luck, if you decide to go this route.

I used the contractors grade epoxy from color copper. I used silicone between all the wood and copper, sealed the first coat with lacquer and then mixed per the instructions and poured the epoxy. It turned out great but it's only been a few months. The reason I used this epoxy is because it was recommended to me by a GC that builds bar tops.

I sell wooden tankards online and use 2 part epoxy everyday of my life. I use EX74 2 part epoxy because it has built in UV protection. If your setup is not going to get extended direct sunlight then just about any 2 part epoxy will work.

A few really important things though:

1. Measure the amounts of hardener and resin very carefully to be sure you are using the EXACT amounts of both. You can end up with a tacky mess and/or a soft finish if you aren't careful measuring.

2. Once you a it all mixed and you know it's mixed really well, keep mixing. You have to be sure that the 2 parts are mixed thoroughly or you will not get the chemical reaction through out the finish and you can get 'blotches'.

3. The temperature is critical. If you apply it below the recommended temperature it will never set up. Higher temps seem to be OK but lower temps will create really bad problem.

4. If you end up with some air bubbles (you will), do NOT use a hair dryer as some people/instructions recommend. It will blow dust motes all over the finish and you will end up sanding and applying another coat. I use a propane torch to quickly pass over the bubbles. They will pop and the finish will be excellent. I have used one of those candle lighters in a pinch and they work too. Just do not use anything that blows air.

5. Extremely small dust motes can really mess up the finish. I always make sure that the heat/AC is turned off to keep this from happening.

As my last comment, 2 part epoxy is very forgiving and you can pretty easily fix blemishes in the finish by lightly sanding and applying another top coat.

I have more information at woodentankards.com but you will have to scroll way down to the bottom of the page.

Thanks guys. Also, thanks to ray for sharing his experience.

My concern is that the keezer is in my sunroom, so there will be a lot of uv exposure.

I would think, that it still would not seal well enough between the copper and epoxy, and down the road you will see some delamination between the epoxy and copper, with the temp swings it might see in the sunroom and direct U V exposure.

It's copper.........Ya' have to cover it?
I know, it will take some work to keep it shiny, or you could just regularly clean it, wipe up spills, etc., and let it "patina" a little.

Back