Using old ingredients

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kegtapper

Reaction score
I have some milled grains that have been in my refrigerator for about a year. They are bagged as they came straight from AHS. Just curious if anyone has experience using old grains. I'm going to brew this IPA in a few days anyway.

Try tasting some. Milled grain theoretically has a shorter shelf life than unmilled grain, but it seems that you stored it correctly so I imagine it will be fine. Is the whole recipe 1 year old grains or just a portion of some specialty malts?

I buy my grains, unmilled, in bulk and keep them sealed in lock and lock containers and buckets with Gamma lids. I would guess that half of my grains are over a year old. I have had no issues.

I agree, that with your description of storage they are probably fine. Give them a taste. If they don't taste stale or moldy, etc. They should be good. If in doubt to conversion you could use a little more than the recipe calls for.

Back