Add maple during High Krausen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kobrew

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm brewing a maple stout right now and I read that I should add the maple at "High Krausen" as to avoid getting and overall woody taste. I assumed that High Krausen was when the beer was at its most active(like a day or two after pitching the yeast) but I've read some conflicting answers. What exactly is high krausen? And how much Maple should I use for a 5 gallon batch?

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If I'm adding honey to a beer I usually add it 2 days after fermentation has started. The reason being is the yeast will go after the simplest sugars first and honey, and most other syrups, are very simple sugars. You want the yeast to go after your more complex sugars in the wort first... So I'd add about a pound or so to your five gallon brew two days after fermentation has started. (Not two days after you pitch the yeast due to possible lag time.)
If you think you need more than a pound when you taste it for the first time, then add more next time. It's really a personal preference as to how dry you want the beer to turn out but that's where I'd start if it were me.
Got a recipe for your maple stout? Sounds tasty!

I went with a basic dry Irish stout recipe and decided to add(depending in what I can find) grade C/B maple!

2 lbs Maris Otter
.5 lbs Chocolate
.25 lbs Black Roast
.25 lbs Roasted Barley
.25 Oats
-45 min steep at 155°

5 lbs Malt Extract

60 min boil
.5 OZ East Kent Golding at 60 Min
.5 OZ EKG at 45
1 OZ EKG at 15

Nottingham yeast from danster.