White film at top of bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cthomas

Reaction score
I bottled this about month ago and now I have a white film ring at the top of the bottles. These have not been pasteurized. No idea what this is. ideas?

IMG_1479.jpg

Kinda blurry but too me it almost looks like micro bubble foam like in a steamed milk for espresso based drinks.
How long have they been bottled, have you opened any?

They have been bottled about a month. Have not opened any yet. Was hoping to serve at a reception in a few weeks and need every bottle.

It is not bubbles, the film is stuck to the side of the bottle and does not 'wash off' when I tip the bottle.

How did you sanitize these bottles? And is every bottle like this? Last time I had film like that it was an infection (did not affect all my bottles - so I assume I had some that were not completely clean).

I would open one and try it to make sure you don't have vinegar.

My bottle conditioned cider also had this white film although not nearly as bad as what you have pictured. A few swirls and it wasn't noticeable when drinking it and it still tasted great. I cant tell if bottles from the keg have it too but they also taste amazing.

If that's a typical bottle - that's quite a bit of headspace...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its a 750ML wine bottle. head space may be a little low but is about typical for what I see with mass produced wines.

I think the white film was some sort of scale or residue. After giving the bottles a hard shake it broke up and settled to the bottom of the bottle.

Back