Tried BIAB to save time.... and it did vs my normal process

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Typically I brew 11 gallon batches on a traditional 3 vessel setup but everyone says that BIAB saves time so I wanted to try it out. I did a 6 gallon batch. I set 70% efficiency in my grist calc.

I Single crushd my grain and filtered and bottled the water (8.2gal for 15.25lbs grain) ahead of time.

I started the process ~9pm after kids went to bed .. Dough in at 9:20 (156) Mash (149 on the nose) done by 10:30. My boil started a little before 11 and done by 12 (midnight). By 12:15 chill was good enough and 12:30 I was cleaned up and beer was in my term chamber chilling down to pitch.

I pitched this morning when I woke up. So 3.5 hours... Not a bad brew day. My last one took around 7 hours

So you're saying that in the 7 hours it normally took you to do 10 gallons, you could have done 12 gallons BIAB (back to back brews) Not bad. :mug:

Did you do a recipe that you have done before in your 3 tier setup? I would be interested in seeing if you can tell any difference in the final product when the time comes.

Vanilla porter down, 3.5 hours. Hit gravity dead on with 70% eff. Only thing I don't like so far is some of the crud that makes it through the bag into my boil.

Vanilla porter down, 3.5 hours. Hit gravity dead on with 70% eff. Only thing I don't like so far is some of the crud that makes it through the bag into my boil.

Ignore it, that crud goes to the bottom of the fermenter when the yeast are done and then the yeast settles on top of it. You can still get clear beer.:rockin:

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1399246350.521706.jpg

Yes, the wort to the kettle is more cloudy with BIAB, but the finished product seems to clear fine.

Cheers!

Wilserbrewer
Http://biabbags.webs.com/

Sweet. I ordered a grand slam package last week. I think I can cut down on that gunk with a nice quality bag instead of the cheapo brewshop one I got.

A good bag will definitely cut down on it.

Back