American Wheat Beer Mosaic Honey Wheat

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rivenin

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
2 weeks @ 65
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
N/A
Tasting Notes
A slightly sweet take on a clean american wheat. Slightly like a Guava/Mango Quaffer
Decided to brew a wheat for spring and to play with mosaic, but it did not last that long.
Hard to describe, but tastes like a sweeter passion fruit/guava american hefeweizen that has been a hit with everyone that has tried it. Defiantly more of a hop forward beer (but not bitter hoppy), the wheat comes through but just hints at it.
Took it to a brew share a few weeks ago, the brew shop owners wife that doesn't drink malted beverages (cider lover) tried some and had me brew them a 5 gallon batch. So it has it's appeals!

4lb - Great western 2-row
4lb - Great western wheat malt
1lb - Gambrinus honey malt
-----
Mash : 152* 60 Minutes
-----
.25oz Mosaic @ FWH (60 minute boil)
.75oz Mosaic @15
1oz Mosaic @0 (steep for 10 minutes to let everything settle)
-----
Ferment with S-05 @65* for 2 weeks
Kegged and hit it with 10PSI for another week and started enjoying it. Gets better with time, but it's highly drinkable very quickly.

First time posting a recipe. Apologies if i forgot something.
:EDIT: IBU says 5, which isn't true, that is the SRM, the IBU is 25

This is now a award winning beer!

*Did add 1oz dry hop for 4 days to this version

Won 3rd at a charity event over the weekend for experienced brewers (over 3 years) by the public. They didn't have ribbons or metals to hand out, just some small donated prizes from different companies (won a growler and a pint glass).

My father in law snuck a picture of me (as he called it) "doing my thing in my environment"

IMG950329_zpsqjfaftzm.jpg

Did play around with some salts by the way.

Calcium : 113
Chloride : 38
Magnesium : 0
Bicarbonate : 86
Sodium : 32
Sulfate : 221
PH : 5.4

Not sure how mosaic and a wheat yeast with its phenolic self would pair. Wyeast 1010 may work well, but something like the wehinstephan (3684? Can't recall the number) would go at all... unless you tried for bananas, you may get a real tropical fruit thing going on. Let me know how it turns out

Not sure how mosaic and a wheat yeast with its phenolic self would pair. Wyeast 1010 may work well, but something like the wehinstephan (3684? Can't recall the number) would go at all... unless you tried for bananas, you may get a real tropical fruit thing going on. Let me know how it turns out

Thanks for the tip, Rivenin. My thoughts exactly on the S-05 versus wheat yeast.

Mosaic is one of those that doesn't have a substitute that I know of.
http://www.farmhousebrewingsupply.com/4-oz-bags/
they have some, however it's $6 for 4oz and 2.50 shipping if i recall correctly... While it's worth it... i think it's a weeee bit steep just to try this beer.
If you have access to it, it would make a bit different beer but i'd try something on the tropical end of the spectrum
Eg, Galaxy, El dorado, Summer, Wai-Iti might be interesting, Amarillo possibly?
Haven't really tried them, Falconers flight or Zythos would be interesting from their descriptions.
Just remember to keep your IBUs in check.

Mostly any fruity hops would work on this recipe, just know it's a titch sweet from the honey malt, so anything dank or piney might not work (at least for my taste buds)

Was actually looking at the Falconers Flight. Didn't pull the trigger on ordering yet. Was waiting for the thoughts on hops. Every wheat beer I have brewed before had been a fruit beer. Thanks

Anytime! let me know if you have any more questions!

I just made a Mosaic Smash pale ale.... and now I want to try this...

I love Mosaic hops... and wheat beer... might as well combine them! I'll certainly do the dry hop addition.

Sounds great! Keep me posted and let me know what you think!

Brewed this a few weeks ago with the dry hop, I really enjoy how it showcases the mosaic hop... I get a biscuity taste at the finish of the beer, I was wondering if that's the wheat or the honey malt, it's the first American wheat that I have brewed

Glad you enjoyed it!
The biscuity taste is most likely the wheat - i've used honey malt in a few seperate beers and haven't received a biscuit taste.
Not saying that it wouldn't be from that as everyones taste is different. But it's more than likely due to the larger wheat volumes with a clean fermenting yeast. Just a guess though!

Awesome! Keep me posted on how it was. Glad this is getting brewed around!

Going to try this with Azacca this weekend. Do you think this would also be a good base for a fruit ale? Maybe add blueberry in one batch?

I haven't brewed with Azacca hops, but I would probably use less hops if you wanted this to be a blueberry beer. Unless of course you are going for a hoppy blueberry beer.

would be a good base for it for sure. I've never used azacca hops before though, so i can't comment for sure how that would come out. But from their description, i'm sure it'd flow really well!

Blueberries may work (i've only had one blueberry beer and it was a stout) with the mosaic hops, but it's more toward passion fruit / Strawberries type flavor... either way i'm sure i'td be very drinkable!

Awesome! Keep me posted on how it was. Glad this is getting brewed around!

So I brewed this utilizing a new method. I call it a 3-day brew. I mashed (60 min) and sparged the first evening (collected runnings, let it sit in covered kettle overnight). Boiled the second day, but since my hose was frozen over, I let the wort cool overnight. The third day, I pitched.

Also, I did not use gelatin (for the first time in a while). Simply cold crashed and kegged.

Although I've been AG brewing for quite some time now, my palate is not very refined - or I have trouble describing things. Working on it. That being said:

Wow. This is fantastic. I'm an IPA guy, so I typically use a lot of hops, dry hop, etc. I've used mosaic in combination with other hops, but this is the first time using SOLELY mosaic. I've read about certain hops being citrusy, etc. but NOTHING like this. Such a pleasant grapefruit aroma AND taste. At first I was worried it was an off-flavor, but it's not. I don't get much honey, but I can't wait to have my friends try this. Again, I can't believe that the recipe calls only for a couple OZ of these hops (and only 1 oz of dry hopping), but they come through so nicely. WELL DONE!

Awesome! glad you enjoy it. Great review as well :)
Yeah, when i tossed this recipe together i just wanted to sample mosaic by itself and just hint at it, but for some reason they are VERY pronounced in this recipe. So it's like a hop heads wheat, but being great for the women to drink as well.

So it's like a hop heads wheat, but being great for the women to drink as well.

That's a perfect description. I had it back to back with Grapefruit Scuplin (one of my favs), and there were distinct similarities in taste, but not bitterness.

I just bottled this beer last weekend (3-21-15), I tried a bit and it tasted fantastic! I cant wait till its ready when I get back from vacation!

I've been doing an American Wheat finished with Mosaic at FO and DH this last year and it's been a total hit. Now I have a tap pretty much dedicated to it. A wonderful finishing hop that works great with the crisp wheat character...

Cheers!

I just bottled this beer last weekend (3-21-15), I tried a bit and it tasted fantastic! I cant wait till its ready when I get back from vacation!

Perfect! glad it's working so far! (albeit a bit on the flat side, haha). Let me know what you think of the carb'd up beer once you get back from vacation! :mug:

I've been doing an American Wheat finished with Mosaic at FO and DH this last year and it's been a total hit. Now I have a tap pretty much dedicated to it. A wonderful finishing hop that works great with the crisp wheat character...

Cheers!

Couldn't agree more!

So I tried the finished product and it's excellent! I dry hopped as well during secondary fermentation and I like that even with all the hop additions it doesn't have the same bite as an IPA cause of the mosaic hops...it's definitely a must to do again!

Reminder to me to brew this, this weekend!

Can't recall if I have mosaic hops left, but if not, I will be trying this with citra. Would have to adjust some ibu I'm sure.

This is what I've been lookin for to brew! I'll update with results :)

Well I found a 2oz pack of mosaic in the freezer! Things are good to go!

I also found a 4oz pack of belma that I forgot I bought. Debating trying that. Never used it and have been looking for an excuse to use it...

So I tried the finished product and it's excellent! I dry hopped as well during secondary fermentation and I like that even with all the hop additions it doesn't have the same bite as an IPA cause of the mosaic hops...it's definitely a must to do again!

Sweet! Glad you enjoyed it! And totally agree on the IBUs of this... it's around 20 IIRC which keeps everything toned down a bit

Well I found a 2oz pack of mosaic in the freezer! Things are good to go!

I also found a 4oz pack of belma that I forgot I bought. Debating trying that. Never used it and have been looking for an excuse to use it...

Awesome! defiantly

If you do use the belma, i'm super curious how it turns out. I have a few OZ in the freezer that a friend gave me and have felt the urge to use a few

Just brewed this exact recipe this past weekend and pitched S-05. Planning on the dry hop as well, looking forward to it!

I'm going to have a BBQ party next month and already have a cream ale and a pale ale with Cascade and Citra on the go. I'd really like to add a wheat beer to the line up and this looks like a candidate. However I only have 1oz of Mosaic.

I have so much hops I am reluctant to buy more until I have used some of them up.

I think I'll bitter with magnum and then a 1/2 ounce each of Amarillo and Mosaic at 15 min and flame out.
How does that sound or are there other hops that would combine better with Mosaic?

I also have summit, cascade, Willamette, citra, Chinook, galaxy, belma, falconer's flight, nugget, northern brewer, simcoe.

I would preferably only use one of these so that I still get the Mosaic flavour.

Thanks!:mug:

Back