drill chuck chewing up my BC shaft

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cider123

Reaction score
I have a 3/8 inch keyless chuck Dewalt drill that I hook up to my Barley crusher. The shaft on the BC had a very small slot cut into it to grab onto. Well my chuck is just chewing up that shaft, and I keep trying to get it to grab on properly but every time it loses grip it just sheers it more and makes it worse for the next time.

Tips?

I was thinking of having a deeper slot cut into the BC shaft but that would take some dismantling so I'd thought I'd ask before getting into it.

Thanks

that is the problem with a keyless chuck on round shafts. it's nearly impossible to get it super tight. if the bit or shank has flats, then the chuck will have no issues.

I had same thing when I had Barley Crusher. I just used a file and flattened out the shaft more significantly so there was a better place for the chuck to grip. One thing I LOVE about my new monster mill..... the shaft is basically triangular with flattened sides.

What do u mean by slot? Your chuck can grab a perfectly cylindrical bout with no issue. Perhaps it's made to receive a manual handle? Either way, the drill Chuck shouldn't be slipping. you need to tighten that thing down better.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

Try wrapping a couple layers of electrical tape around the shaft. Torque your chuck down on it tight. Should give it something to grab onto.

Back