Yeast for a tripel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rbruch

Reaction score
I have a tripel that has been in the primary/secondary for 2 months. It is an all grain recipe from northern brewer. I know that I'm going to have to add some yeast when I'm bottling tomorrow, but how much? Alcohol is high(appx 10) and I have roughly a pack and a half of s-05. How much do you think I should add? I've got a bunch of time invested in this and I don't want to mess it up. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Why do you believe you will need to add yeast prior to bottling? Do you feel that there is not enough yeast in suspension to achieve proper carbonation?

Do a search for pills that have a small amount of yeast and sugar. You drop in to each bottle. I can't think of the name, but they exist.

I usually add more yeast when I bottle if the beer is over 8 or 9 %. By that point the yeast is usually pretty well done. I usually add about 1/2 pack at bottling. You could argue that there is still yeast in suspension, but before I started adding fresh yeast I sometimes had to wait over a month before high gravity beers were carbonated enough.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Thanks. I did end up adding a half pack or so. I was more than a little nervous about that amount of time in the fermentors and the higher alcohol. It sure tasted good! I hope it stays that way....

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Bottled a Tripel at 11% after a month in primary. Took about 6 weeks to carbonate but it worked without pitching any new yeast. That was using Wyeast 3789 - Trappist Blend...

I've never added additional yeast at bottling for a big beer and they've always carbed up fine. It may take a little longer to carb but I wouldn't be drinking a 10% beer after two weeks in the bottle anyway. RDWHAHB.

Back