gluten removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dantzerman

Reaction score
http://brunehaut.com/fr/produits/bieres-biologiques.html

"The Brunehaut Brewery has developed a range of organic and gluten-free beers, produced with barley grown on our domain (www.domainedegraux.be).
We have developed a UNIQUE and NATURAL method to remove the gluten from the beer during brewing (< 5ppm). A real regional beer without gluten, what could be better
?"

The above claims to remove gluten during their process. It is logical that gluten is a soluble protein. Does anyone have ideas on this. Their beer tastes very good as the use a normal beer recipe.

At my work we add an enzyme to milk to break down lactose for those who cannot process it. Using that insight and some Google-fu it seems like Brewers Clarex is a clarity agent/enzyme that also breaks down gluten. I need to read more so I can find out if this will work so my gluten-free friends can enjoy my beer too

http://brunehaut.com/fr/produits/bieres-biologiques.html

"The Brunehaut Brewery has developed a range of organic and gluten-free beers, produced with barley grown on our domain (www.domainedegraux.be).
We have developed a UNIQUE and NATURAL method to remove the gluten from the beer during brewing (< 5ppm). A real regional beer without gluten, what could be better
?"

The above claims to remove gluten during their process. It is logical that gluten is a soluble protein. Does anyone have ideas on this. Their beer tastes very good as the use a normal beer recipe.

Just in case you didn't see it, there's a sticky on this, see "Sticky: Clarity-Ferm, Gluten Testing, and Gluten Sensitivity". Bottom line: it might address gluten but it probably doesn't address the other proteins that gluten-sensitive or celiacs are also sensitive to (my take, worth a read on your own though).

In lactose intolerance, the pathology is that the intolerant individual lacks lactase enzyme, the enzyme which degrades lactose into its components glucose and galactose. Lactose is not directly absorbable by the human body, so if it is not broken down into these components to be absorbed, it passes into the colon undigested, where bacteria ferment it and produce the gas, intestinal discomfort, and other symptoms typical of the disorder.

Gluten intolerance does not operate on a similar pathology at all, especially not Celiac sprue. In Celiac, it is *not* the whole undigested gluten compound that causes the reaction, it is a minute fragment of it (or more likely, several different types of minute fragments of it). It is also not strictly gluten that is the source of these triggering fragments, but also the proteins hordein and secalin (and possibly avenin as well). So simply "breaking down" the proteins will not solve the problem of gluten intolerance in the way breaking down lactose solves lactose intolerance.

What I have to wonder is, if people think clarex is such a miracle, why isn't it possible to treat gluten intolerance with enzyme supplements the way people treat lactose intolerance?

I agree it would be nice if treating Gluten intolerance/celiac was as easy as a supplemental enzyme. The gluten-reduced beer craze for me is a way to cash in on the "Gluten-free to feel better crowd," and not very helpful to celiacs or those with gluten intolerance issues. I am not a diagnosed celiac, and my intolerance is not as intense as some, but I have found through experimenting with the gluten reduced beers, the cause me discomfort, but I can eat regular oatmeal that is not certified gluten free with no repercussions. This area of the digestive system is just not that well understood, and the range of intolerance varies by individual. Keep gluten free beer, made with only gluten free ingredients. Just my 2 cents
Stefan

Gluten intolerance is very hard to treat, it is more complex than just enzymes. Such "miracle" solutions almost always don't work.

Latest posts

Back