Hydrometer reading before or after settling of wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paulshe

Reaction score
Hi,

So my boil is done. I stir up the wort to make such it's relatively distributed. Pull a sample.

My samples these days have lots of particles and such (either hop stuff or just break material). Drop in the hydrometer and take a reading. Is the more correct reading the one immediately after droppping in the hydrometer or maybe 15/20 minutes after the junk has settled. Me thinks the later reading is probably more accurate. Note that in my latest beer the difference is a good 3 to 4 points. (1.043 to 1.047)

-paul

It depends. :)

I'm assuming you're cooling your sample before measuring? Or converting based on temp? Just making sure.

To me, the most accurate would be after things have settled. Surprised you got such a big difference honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I don't think you need to stir your wort after the boil. The boil itself will have the wort stirred.
I prefer to not have particles in my hydrometer sample just in case it may affect the reading. I also let the sample cool to within 10° or so of my hydrometer calibration temperature. Correction charts and apps have a less accurate conversion as the recorded sample temperature increases.
The time for cooling allows some time for remaining particles to settle.

Back