Blow off tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLamb

Reaction score
Alright so I made a blow off and it's working great but I had some questions.

So the krausen is coming through the blow off which I would assume is normal but is some times a small amount a liquid makes it's way into the tube.

The blow off tube isn't submerged within the fermenter or anything. So I'm just wondering what is this liquid making it's way through? I kinda assume it's normal but I'm more curious about the matter

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1393756687.468874.jpg There's gonna be some junk.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

That little bit of liquid is your wort/beer that's been pushed through the tube via active fermentation. This is to be expected.

The whole point of having a blow-off tube is to depressurize a fermenter that has a wort or yeast that results in > 100% attenuation per volume of the vessel. By that, I mean, if your yeast and/or wort are brewed such that they will foam up MORE than 100% of your fermenter's volume, you NEED a blow-off tube, or you'll explode your fermenter.

Historically, US-05, no matter how many fermentables you add, does not need a blow-off tube. Higher-gravity beers using S-04, T-58, T-33, Nottingham, and other English/Belgian yeasts generally require one.

Posting from experience.

Back