Advantage of tier system?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenpotf

Reaction score
I currently have the following, and I'm trying to figure out if I'd benefit from a 3-tier gravity-fed system:

Bayou Burner
Boil Kettle
10-gal Igloo mash tun

When I sparge, I have another pot that I heat my sparge water in. My process is to heat the water in the boil kettle to whatever temp, say 152 degrees. I pour that into my mash tun with the grain. Heat the sparge water up while grain is mashing. When mash time is up, I batch sparge and drain the wort back into the boil kettle and start the boil process.

How can a 3-tier system benefit me from the above? Is it mainly for fly sparging where you have constant flow from your sparge water? Or can a batch sparger befefit from this type of system too?

Thanks!

The benefit of a three tier system is to use gravity instead of electric pumps, keeping your brewing simple and cost effective. The benefit of having a three tier system with burners on your HLT and brew kettle is to save your back so you don't have to lift anything.

Back