Adding Coconut when.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSamu

Reaction score
I am brewing coconut porter. I the recipe says to add to secondary. I don't use a secondary. It has been fermenting 8 days. No more bubbles. I plan on letting it sit and clean up for 1 month ( 3 more weeks). How long should I wait to add the fresh toasted coconut. If I did it today or tomorrow would the yeast ferment out the flavor?

Mike:tank:

I am going to jump in and say that possibly you can add when fermentation is over. Based on some research on the topic it looks like it can get messy with all the coconut flakes. Has anyone had luck adding the coconut to a strainer bag and tossing that in?

Has anyone had luck adding the coconut to a strainer bag and tossing that in?

Yuuup. Add it to a nylon mesh bag or else you will never get that beer out. The siphon will clog really bad.

You probably don't need to give it a month. Unless it's high ABV. If it's a session ale, another week or two will be fine, as long as you've reached terminal gravity.

Back