Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Sweet Blond Ale - Additional Thoughts Wanted

Old 01-28-2014, 01:00 AM   #1
Espkelly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

Default Sweet Blond Ale - Additional Thoughts Wanted

First, thanks for all the great info, this site has been a treasure trove of knowledge on how to home brew. I am brewing up my first batch of my own recipe (seventh batch total). I am attempting a light blonde ale with a real nice citrus finish at the end. I came up with the recipe via researching multiple posts over several weeks and plugged the numbers in on a home brew website to calculate the OG and FG. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated before I brew this one up in a few weeks. Thanks and love the hobby/obsession.

OG:1.041
FG: 1.010

3.5 Lbs Light DME
1 Lb American Wheat DME
1 Lb Carapils
.5 Lb Carmel 10
1/2 Cup Orange Zest

.25 Oz Centennial Hops
.25 Oz Amarillo Leaf Hops

Wyeast 1272 American Ale II.

Step grains at 160 for 30 mins, then boil.
Add .5 Lbs Light DME and all Wheat DME at start of boil.
Centennial Hops - 60 mins.
Amarillo Hops - 15 mins.
Flame Out add remaining DME.
Cool to 80 and add yeast.

Primary 7 days
Secondary - 7 days with Orange Zest.

Many thanks all!

Old 01-28-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
daveooph131
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

That actually looks pretty solid I think you'll get what you are going for.

Old 01-28-2014, 02:23 AM   #3
BuckSwope
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Is your goal to have the zest take center stage or as a complement to the hops?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
Espkelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSwope View Post
Is your goal to have the zest take center stage or as a complement to the hops?
Buck: I think my goal is for the zest to take center stage.

Old 01-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #5
RSoltis
Recipes 

I really like this recipe.. would like to kick the ABV up a bit... was gonna switch to extra light DME and increase American Wheat to 1.5 lbs... anyone see a problem w this??

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Home Brew mobile app

Old 01-28-2014, 06:46 PM   #6
BuckSwope
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

ESP, just a heads up on dry hopping with zest is that sometimes the zest becomes too overwhelming quickly. I'd recommend using a lot less (maybe .25 oz to start) and check after a few days. If it's not up to par, add a little bit more and wait another few days

Other issues I would tweak if this was my recipe:

1) Centennial and Amarillo hops should be moved to 10m, 5m or flameout. Those hops have great flavor/aroma profiles to them so it would be best to use them for that instead of bittering. Use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior for bittering @ 60m

2) Cool your wort lower than 80 before pitching, probably more towards 66-68. Unless it's a Belgian or saison yeast, you run the risk of creating off flavors from pitching at a high temp.

3) Cut the carapils to .5 lb and bump up your LME/DME to compensate. A pound of carapils is a bit overkill

What ibus are you shooting for? ABV?

Old 01-28-2014, 10:26 PM   #7
bajaedition
Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 50

When it is finished, send me a sixer and I will give you a really good opinion of it.

Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 AM   #8
Espkelly
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSwope View Post
ESP, just a heads up on dry hopping with zest is that sometimes the zest becomes too overwhelming quickly. I'd recommend using a lot less (maybe .25 oz to start) and check after a few days. If it's not up to par, add a little bit more and wait another few days

Other issues I would tweak if this was my recipe:

1) Centennial and Amarillo hops should be moved to 10m, 5m or flameout. Those hops have great flavor/aroma profiles to them so it would be best to use them for that instead of bittering. Use a neutral hop like magnum or warrior for bittering @ 60m

2) Cool your wort lower than 80 before pitching, probably more towards 66-68. Unless it's a Belgian or saison yeast, you run the risk of creating off flavors from pitching at a high temp.

3) Cut the carapils to .5 lb and bump up your LME/DME to compensate. A pound of carapils is a bit overkill

What ibus are you shooting for? ABV?
Great feedback thanks! The 80 was a typo and should have been 70. How much DME would you add in place of the reduction in carapils? I want a low bittering taste and looking for high teens/low twenties IBU's. I didn't really give the abv any thought to be honest, really focusing on the taste at this point.

Old 01-29-2014, 01:24 AM   #9
ArcLight
Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 64

I'm interested in how the zest works out. I usually soak things like vanilla beans in Vodka, then add them at bottling. I soaked some orange zest and it had little impact. But the zest had dried out over a few months. I was considering adding it to the boil, not as a dry hop.

In any case good luck, and please post your results, especially how the orange zest works out.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
BuckSwope
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espkelly View Post
Great feedback thanks! The 80 was a typo and should have been 70. How much DME would you add in place of the reduction in carapils? I want a low bittering taste and looking for high teens/low twenties IBU's. I didn't really give the abv any thought to be honest, really focusing on the taste at this point.

No problem. I'd switch half a pound for half pound with no preference on which DME.