Fermentation and FG

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musicman629

Reaction score
So my first brew is a scottish ale and I put it in almost 3 days ago (OG 1.036) and noticed some activity in the airlock (I know this is not the best way to determine fermentation) so I checked the gravity after 2 and a half days and it has dropped down to about 1.016 which is just .002 above the low end of the FG. I know that fermentation should last much longer than this so I'm wondering if I should re-pitch my yeast or add nutrient/corn sugar to reinvigorate the yeast.

Thanks again for any help and suggestions.

Tyler
Louisiana

sounds like its right on pace to me. most of fermentation happens within a few days, the rest of the time is cleaning up and settling out. leave it be for another week or 2

There is a difference between fermentation and conditioning. Basically, fermenting is the yeast eating your sugar. After that, you condition your beer, meaning that the yeast will have consume all the sugars and start consuming some chemicals in your beer. This phase is much longer than the fermenting itself and is very important since it will clear out all the "off-flavors" present in your beer.

That being said, like mentioned by the others, forget your beer for a couple of weeks

Back