Blow Off

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r_star61

Reaction score
Pretty sure I am experiencing blow off. The air lock is foaming out the top. Should I be worried, and should I fix this. If it needs fixing...how?

A simple blow off tube should fix your problem.

blowoff1.jpg

Pretty sure I am experiencing blow off. The air lock is foaming out the top. Should I be worried, and should I fix this. If it needs fixing...how?

If you use Star San in the airlock, it will foam when it bubbles - this will be clean, white foam. Is there any kraeusen in the stem of the airlock? Assuming you're using a bucket, you can get a feel for kraeusen by darkening the room, and setting a flashlight on the lid shining down.

No need to worry, it is normal. You can make a blow off tube, or simply take off the air lock. The positive pressure from fermentation should keep any nasties out. As soon as you see the krausen begin to fall put the airlock back on.

+1. Clear foam isn't a problem, it's when the krausen starts to come through the air lock. Krausen can eventually plug up the whole works and you end up with a beer/yeast/krausen geyser when it blows the airlock. It can be surprisingly violent and messy. I usually start all my brews with a blow off hose into a bucket or bottle of sanitizer until the fermentation slows down.

Back