Need advice on a beer shanks for free kegerator I picked up.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ayrahvon

Reaction score
I managed to get a free kegerator from a local homebrewer when they needed to downgrade to a smaller one. They had picked it up themselves at some point with all the required equipment done by the previous owner. They decided to keep their beer shanks and taps to use on their next kegerator.

The problem comes in when I measured the predrilled holes that the previous owner put in for the beer shanks. They drilled in 1 1/2 inch holes rather than 1 inch holes and now I'm concerned about picking up a standard beer shank for this kegerator.

Do you think I could just install some large washers and use a standard beer shank? Or am I going to have to find a beer shank that is larger. Looking around I haven't seen one that isn't the traditional size.

If anyone has any advice or experience with different beer shanks, or has had to tackle this issue themselves, advice would be much appreciated!

Edit: Oh, my setup is two pin lock kegs and a 5 lb CO2 tank, was planning on just using normal tubing for it.

Also, I've already tried to ask the other brewer how it was set up, I don't think they realized it was a less traditional setup, but they haven't been timely in responding.

I'd be surprised if there are beer shanks that aren't the standard 7/8"x14 thread - they have to fit standard threaded faucets, after all.

Might try epoxying a short piece of 1" Schedule 80 PVC into the hole to support the shank, then buy shanks with finishers for the outside like the black plastic one shown here, and a metal finisher for the inside. Just make sure the shank will be long enough for the finishers and you should be good...

4331A-3.jpg

Cheers!

Back