How do people normally punch a whole in a lid for the valve?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
This is a relatively stupid question...but I live far from all my folks and I hardly have any tools here and I am about to buy some new food-grade buckets. Problem: they have no hole for the valves on the lids.

What's the easiest, SANITARY (I dont want it to harbour bacteria later) way to punch a hole on a plastic lid?

This is a relatively stupid question...but I live far from all my folks and I hardly have any tools here and I am about to buy some new food-grade buckets. Problem: they have no hole for the valves on the lids.

What's the easiest, SANITARY (I dont want it to harbour bacteria later) way to punch a hole on a plastic lid?

Go to HD and buy a hand drill and bit of the correct size. Or as I do take the covers to your LHBS and ask him/her to drill it for you.

I don't recall the exact size, but I just drilled a hole in the lid big enough so that I could install an airlock grommet.

use a 1/2" drill bit for the grommet.

First drill a small hole in the center of where you want the grommet. Then use the 1/2". It'll go in smoother and in the position you want.

Use a drill and try it out first of the lid of a old coffee tub.

Latest posts

Back