Best way to bottle condition at/above 70 degrees?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteakW

Reaction score
So all of my friends tell me my beer is awesome. Thing is, I don't know because my house doesn't get above 60 degrees and my beer will barely carbonate at all. After new years people were telling me how great it was and they wish they could buy it in stores (they all drink Tecate and Coors and stuff) so now that I'm the coolest kid in town I would like to try some of my own beer. I was thinking perhaps a wine cooler or just get a freezer chest and temp control thing but was wondering what others have down to combat this issue. I was thinking maybe the freezer chest might be the best option, although costly since I only need to control conditioning temps in the winter. In the warmer months I could use the freezer w/ control for fermentation, since it'll be warm enough to bottle condition with ambient temps. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Congrats on the good beer, or at least what you are told is good beer :)

The beer should actually condition at 60F, it might just take a lot longer.

As far as using a fridge or freezer, I think that's a great idea, because it can also be used for fermentation temp control, which is really important for great beer, and that way you are not as dependent on the weather. That will require a freezer, a temp controller (I'd look into dual stage which can heat and cool), plus a heat source in your case since you need to warm thing up, not cool them down. Many use heat mats (usually used in gardening), ferm wraps (a product specifically for home brewing sized fermenters), or even the trusty light bulb in a paint can to provide heat to the inside of the freezer.

A freezer coupled with a temp controller is a fantastic way to control temps, but keep in mind that a freezer doesn't heat things up. Sorry for stating the obvious, but from what you said it sounds you expect the temperature to rise above ambient with a freezer and temp controller. To make temps rise, the controller just keeps the freezer off so the highest temp you will be able to attain is ambient.

Have you tried putting them in a closet with a light bulb, heat pad or other heat source?

Nope, did not realize I would need a heat element until you all pointed it out to me. Kind of obvious yes since only on Christmas day did it get over 80 degrees here, my ambient temps wouldn't go that high. So, I need a heating pad device if I am to go that route, which is costly but appealing.

The lightbulb sounds like it could be done right now, which is also appealing. One question; would the light from the bulb cause any issues with light getting into the bottles? Or is that only sunlight? I use mostly amber bottles but I have some green ones as well.

My water heater is in the garage so it fluctuates out there as well.

a light bulb puts out a lot of heat . Better grab some up before the light bulb police come to the store to confiscate the stock . A 100 watt bulb would probably do the job in a closet . A 100 watt bulb in the oven made mine about 90 degrees . But of course they are illegal to sell now . do not know how much heat a 100 cfl puts out .
Try putting your bottles in a upper cabinet in your kitchen or in top of a closet where the temp is warmer . If you get it up above 60 to maybe 65 it will carb right up . 60 will simply take a lot longer . If your beer ferments at 60 then it will carb at 60 .
I some times use a small space heater in my utility room to keep it 70 in winter . Works good .

I carbonate for about 3 weeks at around 70 degrees and then move to a cold room in the winter for a a few weeks . Even 1 week at 70 is carbonated most of the time .

Back