Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Fermenting more than 7 days IS a good thing
Old 12-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 96 Times on 81 Posts
Likes Given: 57

Default Fermenting more than 7 days IS a good thing

OK, so, you were right. Leaving it in the primary fermenter for 14 or more days can be a good thing.

The last 3 batches I had to leave in the primary until I got more bottle caps. One batch sat there about a month.

They were absolutely clear into the bottling bucket. The yeast cleaned up everything and settled down into a very firm cake at the bottom.

Usually I decant to the bottling bucket after 7 to 10 days because the fermentation has certainly stopped. I use simple recipes that finish fairly quickly. They have always been murky when they were bottled and the conditioned beer remained cloudy. I tried irish moss and cold crashing and they did help. Leaving it alone really allowed it to clear.

Whether beer is made in waders or in a toilet tank, as long as it is fun and the brewer likes how it tastes, who cares how it is brewed?
- VladOfTrub

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread
Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 PM   #2
I Love DIY
Liked 330 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 40

The minimum i keg from is 2 weeks, most of mine sit in for 3-4 weeks and yes all my beers come out crystal clear!

Also use Whirlfloc, its far superior to standard Irish moss...
Old 12-26-2013, 10:21 PM   #3
Liked 184 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 100

2 weeks minimum for small beers, 4 weeks for big beers. Works every time to clear and clean up the beer toward maturation. To quote good old Alton Brown, "Your patience will be rewarded."

Good results makes waiting a little easier, doesn't it?