DIPA Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonianBrewer

Reaction score
I recently purchased some random ( fruity) hops and wanted to try and put them in a hopefully killer DIPA the recipe is as follows
9# light dme
.25# white wheat
.25# red wheat
.5# carapils
.25# crystal 20

-- not listed by time --
2oz galaxy
1oz comet
1oz rakau
1oz green bullet
1oz Motueka
1oz Nelson sauvin

Wyeast west coast ipa yeast

Thanks for the help with a hop schedule !

I recently purchased some random ( fruity) hops and wanted to try and put them in a hopefully killer DIPA the recipe is as follows
9# light dme
.25# white wheat
.25# red wheat
.5# carapils
.25# crystal 20

-- not listed by time --
2oz galaxy
1oz comet
1oz rakau
1oz green bullet
1oz Motueka
1oz Nelson sauvin

Wyeast west coast ipa yeast

Thanks for the help with a hop schedule !

Not sure what you are using for the bittering but all of those could go in the last 15 mins and even a whirlpool. Galaxy is a very nice dry hop and I use it often in "fruity" style IPA beers I make

I say drop the carapils. The DME has carapils in it. If you're using it to increase head retention it is unneeded. The crystal, wheat, and hops will provide plenty of head retention. If you're using it to increase body, the same answer is true. The malts, especially the DME should provide plenty of body. For dry hopping I'd go with the galaxy and nelson sauvin. If you like Stone Enjoy By, these are the hops they supposedly use for dry hopping.

Green Bullet is good for bittering, and so is comet. I would do green bullet at 60 or 90, comet at 30, rakau and motueka Hop Stand and 2oz Galaxy and Nelson dry hop. That should be fruity.

I would drop the carapils as well. It's going to be hard enough to dry this beer out with all that extract (which probably has carapils already). I would maybe swap some of the extract out for cane or corn sugar to increase fermentability. Also technically wheat malt needs to be mashed, but I guess with such a small amount it won't make much difference.

As for the hop schedule, I'm not very familiar with southern hemisphere hops so I can't be too much help on the specifics. But I am a big fan of doing a bittering addition then adding all flavor and aroma hops at flameout (I actually chill to about 190F) and doing about a 30 minute steep. And a big dry hop of course. Maybe you could bitter with something neutral, then split all those hops between flameout and DH.

Thank you for the suggestions . the carapils was a bad idea in hind sight, I had no idea dme had so much unfermantable sugars

Back