plum wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lakeslad

Reaction score
hi all,
i ahve about,
5kg of plums cut,stoned and frozen ready for a good recipe to come across
i have found this one but it does look very simple any one comment on it? would you give it a go with out nutrients etc?
many thanks for any input
lee

http://allotmentheaven.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/plum-wine-easy-recipe.html
Ingredients needed

5lbs (2.25 kilos) of healthy plums

3lbs (1.35 kilos) of sugar

1 gallon of water

1 teaspoon of lemon juice

Wine yeast

Method

1. Sterilise the fermentation barrel and lid using the Milton liquid.

2. Wash the plums, cut in half and remove the stones.

3. Place in fermentation barrel

4. Bring water to boil and pour in fermentation barrel.

5. Put the lid on and leave for four days, stirring twice daily.

6. Add the sugar and stir vigorously to dissolve.

7. Add lemon juice and wine yeast and put the lid on. and stir twice daily for five days.

8. Store somewhere warm. After a few hours you'll notice something starting to happen... there'll be a froth on the surface as the yeast starts to ferment, turning the sugar into alcohol. Stir the contents twice a day.

9. After five days transfer the liquid to the demijohn using the plastic tubing and funnel. Make sure all the equipment has been sterilised with Milton liquid.

11. Avoiding disturbing any sediment, place the fermentation barrel at a higher level than the demijohn (e.g. put the barrel on a table and the demijohn on the floor), put one end of the plastic tubing in the barrel, and having placed the funnel in the neck of the demijohn give the other end of the tubing a strong suck to pull some of the wine in the tube up and over the edge of the barrel. Quickly remove your mouth and put the tube end into the funnel. The wine should start to drain.

11. Stop removing liquid when you get close to the bottom so you transfer as little of the sediment as possible. Once all the liquid is in the demijohn top up with water to bring to a gallon. Seal with the rubber bung and airlock, having put a small amount of diluted Milton liquid in the airlock.

12. You can now store the wine for months somewhere cool and frost free. At first the fermentation may start up again and you'll see bubbles going through the airlock. Gradually the wine will clear.

13. Once fully clear repeat the draining process, this time from the demijohn to sterilised wine bottles. Put a stopper in each bottle and store.

14. The wine will be ready to drink after twelve months.

Sounds about like the one I use. I don't trust universal sugar additions and adjust to how sweet the plums are. Most of the time I don't use but maybe 2 lbs at the most.

I use my own sanitizing means.

Don't boil my water.

Don't let mine sit. I've done it in the past on some wines and really didn't notice a difference.

Mouth siphon really isn't recommend but can be done.

Really sounds like they are selling Milton liquid stuff.

sounds good, Milton is big business over here in the uk for baby products, i couldn't give a toss about it lol i have proper brew making cleaning powder,

how long do you leave it to sit at all? isnt this the way you extract the juice and flavors of the plums?

Wouldn't siphoning the wine into a funnel and letting it run into the carboy like that cause your wine to become too oxygenated. Wouldn't it be better to run a racking cane to the bottom of your carboy?

Latest posts

Back