Samuel Smith's Organic Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newsman

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone successfully cloned this? I like the taste and the "mouthfeel" of this stuff. It's great. I'd really like to make an "imperial" version of this, but I'll settle for a standard clone. :mug: :rockin:

I would think you could substitute the 2 row malt for a DME or LME, if that's what you are trying to do.

OK. I'm a bit green when it comes to home brewing. :) What's the difference between a "partial mash" and "BIAB"? Is it just technique?

OK. I'm a bit green when it comes to home brewing. :) What's the difference between a "partial mash" and "BIAB"? Is it just technique?

BIAB is where you add ALL of your grains instead a mesh bag, put them in a large pot, stir them around, and then give them a mash rest around 60 minutes. Then you drain the bag, and proceed with your brew day with that wort.

Parital Mash, is there you use DME or LME for a brew, steep some grains in a separate pot, and then add that wort to your boil.

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. So if you wanted to MASH instead of BIAB, you'd just pour the very warm water over the grains in a mash tun instead of sticking 'em in a mesh bag. :)

Got it. Thanks for the explanation. So if you wanted to MASH instead of BIAB, you'd just pour the very warm water over the grains in a mash tun instead of sticking 'em in a mesh bag. :)

BIAB, you do the Mash In process in a bag inside a pot. You then drain that, and pour sparge water over it to rinse the grains.

If you want to do an all grain, by not doing BIAB, then you add your strike water to a large pot or cooler, then mix your grains into it, and do a mash rest. Then you batch sparge or fly sparge after that to rinse the grains.

There are TONS of youtube videos on all the above processes, if you want to watch any videos on it. Cheers.

The only clone referenced is the oatmeal stout.... Anyone have a recipe for samual smith chocolate stout

I will personally send a bomber to someone that puts me on a recipe that's close to this. This beer is so ridiculously good that it just has to be close.

Back