dry hop and fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wmcc75

Reaction score
Hey hbt folks. I poked around looking for an answer but didn't find one. So I'll go ahead and ask it. I was planning on dry hopping an ipa but just got my hands on some grapefruit fresh from Florida and was thinking about putting some in with my dry hops. My question is...Is it ok for me to ad both hops and fruit?

Hey hbt folks. I poked around looking for an answer but didn't find one. So I'll go ahead and ask it. I was planning on dry hopping an ipa but just got my hands on some grapefruit fresh from Florida and was thinking about putting some in with my dry hops. My question is...Is it ok for me to ad both hops and fruit?

Why not ?
I think it would turn out better if you use the fruit (meat) only.In a dry-hop mesh bag ect...the skin would be awesome, but it's the pith you want to avoid the white layer (between the meat & skin)
It is not a good bitter...

I will spend the time and use both skin and meat. I couldn't really think of a reason it wouldn't work, but thought I should ask more knowledgeable people than I.

I will spend the time and use both skin and meat. I couldn't really think of a reason it wouldn't work, but thought I should ask more knowledgeable people than I.

I dont know if I'm that...but I have dry-hopped w/ lots of herbs, chillis, ginger
and fruits and have noticed that citrus pith is very (pucker) bitter.

I just tried somthing original, at least for me. added a pound of fresh pureed pinnapple and mango along with two ounces of Simcoe and an ounce of Cascade to my recent ipa fermented with Conan. So far it taste out of this world and plan to keg it this upcoming weekend.

I was planning on zesting the grapefruit skin then pealing the bitter white stuff and taking both skin and meat and adding that to a hop bag with some pacifica hops. Then put in with some (hopefully) delicious ipa for like 7 days.

The fruit itself has sugars. You would want to add that first, and let the yeast work on that for a couple of days before adding the dry hops. The active fermentation will drive off some of the hop aroma if they are added together.

Ok cool I was not aware things would happen that way. Thanks a bunch for the info

Yea I should have worded my post differently. I added the pinnapple and mango first then dry hopped in the keg after I transferred it off of the fruit.

Nice, I have a Mango/Pineapple IPA "in the hole". Sounds like your recipe will be great.

OP - I think that's a great idea. And if you're using any Cascade, it would be even better. But even without, I think it's a great idea and I'm sure it'll taste awesome.

As a matter of fact I do have some cascade. I was thinking about using NZ pacifica for dry hops but if cascade would be better. I've never dry hopped before so I'm kinda in the dark about it.

As a matter of fact I do have some cascade. I was thinking about using NZ pacifica for dry hops but if cascade would be better. I've never dry hopped before so I'm kinda in the dark about it.

IMO Cascade would probably be better for what you're going for. But I wouldn't say NZ is a bad choice, I judt vote for Cascade.

I brewed an American Amber Ale and then in the secondary added 1 oz of Cascade hops and a pound of Jalapeños. After about 3 weeks it was awesome!!!!!

That sounds pretty awesome. Anybody have any input on how much grapefruit would be a good starting point?

Back