Seeking feedback on my smoked stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greggy

Reaction score
Smoked Stout

Style: American Stout OG: 1.054
Type: All Grain FG: 1.013
Rating: 0.0 ABV: 5.37 %
Calories: 176 IBU's: 29.32
Efficiency: 70 % Boil Size: 7.65 Gal
Color: 39.7 SRM Batch Size: 6.50 Gal
Preboil OG: 1.051 Boil Time: 60 minutes

Fermentation Steps
Name Days / Temp
(none)

Grains & Adjuncts
Amount Percentage Name Time Gravity
7.50 lbs 48.58 % Briess 2-Row Brewers Malt 60 mins 1.037
5.00 lbs 32.39 % Weyermann Smoked Malt 60 mins 1.037
1.25 lbs 8.10 % Briess Roasted Barley 60 mins 1.033
9.00 ozs 3.64 % Dingeman's De-Bittered Black Malt 60 mins 1.030
9.00 ozs 3.64 % Briess Carapils 60 mins 1.034
9.00 ozs 3.64 % Briess 2-Row Caramel 120L 60 mins 1.032

Hops
Amount IBU's Name Time AA %
1.00 ozs 21.73 Sterling First Wort 7.50
0.50 ozs 7.59 Sterling 30 mins 7.50

Yeasts
Amount Name Laboratory / ID
1.00 pkg American Ale Wyeast Labs 1056

Additions
Amount Name Time Stage
0.50 each Whirlfloc Tablet 15 mins Boil

Mash Profile
Medium Body Infusion In 60 min @ 154.0°F
Add 19.30 qt ( 1.25 qt/lb ) water @ 166.0°F
Sparge
Sparge 21.34 qt ( 0.00 qt/lb ) of 170.0°F water over 60 mins

Carbonation
Amount Type Beer Temp CO2 Vols
4.15 oz Corn Sugar - Bottle Carbonation 72.0°F 2.00

Notes

www.iBrewMaster.com Version: 2.836

Well you've certainly piqued my attention with this Dingeman's de-bittered black malt. New to brewing and all, I haven't heard of this and I am very curious about it. But that wasn't your question, now was it?

Is this more of a dry stout or were you aiming for a sweet stout at all? It looks good. I sort of thought chocolate barley was pretty important in stouts but that is due to my limited research and all that.

Nice! That looks pretty good to me as long as you are going for a pretty up front smoke character (which sounds good to me).

Why the de-bittered black malt instead of chocolate (like Hello suggested) or Black Patent or something? I thought de-bittered black was more for coloring and didn't give a whole lot of roasty flavor and aroma which you would want in a stout.

Nice! That looks pretty good to me as long as you are going for a pretty up front smoke character (which sounds good to me).

Why the de-bittered black malt instead of chocolate (like Hello suggested) or Black Patent or something? I thought de-bittered black was more for coloring and didn't give a whole lot of roasty flavor and aroma which you would want in a stout.

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the roast would be acquired from the roasted barley. The debittered black malt with contribute color and some flavor. I wanted to avoid too much roast as I figured it would compete to heavily with the smoke. Discuss...

Greg

Thanks for the feedback. I figured the roast would be acquired from the roasted barley. The debittered black malt with contribute color and some flavor. I wanted to avoid too much roast as I figured it would compete to heavily with the smoke. Discuss...

Greg

Yeah, I thought that might be what you were going for. And that might be a good idea. A big smoke flavor and a big roast flavor might end up being overwhelming. And I think 1.25 pounds of roasted barley will provide enough flavor along with whatever you get out of the de-bittered.

Looking at it again, I might switch the carapils out for a mid range crystal malt, like crystal 40 or 60. That would give you a little more sweetness to soften any astringency and/or phenolic notes from the roasted malts and the smoked malt.

Overall it looks like it's gonna be a delicious beer! :mug:

Back