Marzipan aroma?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizenstein

Reaction score
So... I'm drinking my first taste of most recent cider and there's a distinct almond/marzipan aroma that while pleasant is pretty unexpected.

My process was pretty simple: 4 gallons of Motts apple juice, malo-lactic culture, some kind of yeast, nutrients, and the change up this time: I added a couple of lbs of frozen crab apples whole into the primary. I figured this would up the acid and tannin content and lend a lot of character - which I would say it did.

But now I'm worried that this almond aroma is cyanide leached out of the seeds in the whole apples. I don't know how alcohol soluble cyanide is, the seeds weren't cracked open or anything, though the apples were frozen to break down their cell walls. I'm guessing I won't die from the few sips I've had but I could definitley use a more informed perspective.

Cheers, and if I don't wake up tomorrow tell my mother I died doing what I love.

Back