About to pull the trigger on a kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agbrewer03

Reaction score
There are tons of kit configurations and variable prices out there.

I am leaning toward the bells beer kit
https://bellsbeer.com/store/products/Deluxe-Brewer%27s-Best%C2%AE-Beer-Brewing-Equipment-Kit-w%7B47%7D-Better-Bottle%C2%AE.html

At a later date I'll probably get a glass carboy, but I will be moving quite a lot in the next year or so and with kids and dogs, I think I want to go with the better bottle for now.

What are other essentials or "make my life easier" equipment I should get?

For now I am thinking of primary in the bucket, then secondary in the carboy, then transfer to bottling bucket with spigot. If I only do primary, I'll just use the spigot bucket.

That looks like a good starter kit for $100.

If you don't have one already, a kettle with a ball valve/spigot would make the liquid transfer to your fermenter a breeze. Also a wort chiller will help get the temps down quickly. Extra airlocks... cheap and good to have around.

Many on here will recommend against a secondary for typical brews which don't require fruit additions or long aging. Especially for a beginner brewer, a long primary would probably be recommended.

Use the bucket for your primary. Using the bottling bucket will often have the spigot clogged with trub if used as a primary. Use the better bottle for a secondary vessel for dry hopping or additions after FG is reached, if doing. Read up on how to safely handle the BB. They do crack and scratch.

Equipment and stuff to make it easier:
6 gallon carboy.
Stainless steel stock pot with heavy disc on bottom. Disc will help prevent scorching. Pot can also be used for cooking.
StarSan for the sanitizer.
Bench capper.
Extra airlock and bungs, both solid and drilled.

Check out my Gadget videos for the little things that make life in the brewery easier;

Last edited by a moderator:
After reading some more on here I may just get the 2 bucket kit and order a 6 gal BB. Unless I can substitute the 5 gal BB with a 6 gal BB.

I am going to go with an aluminum pot. I am looking at the 32 QT one from Amazon.

I am saving my swingtop bottles as well, but will go ahead and get a case of 12 oz bottles too.

Ah he'll now I am thinking of the Williams kit. I like the spigot idea on fermenter and bottling bucket.

Thanks for the help fellas. I went with the Williams Complete 32 qt kit.

I will be able to do full boils and it will fit fine on my gas stove. Now for FedEX to show up.

Piece it out and get a 6 gallon Better Bottle instead of the 5 gallon one. I have one and rarely use it.
Buy a couple of airlocks and a couple of blow off hose assemblies. There is one specifically made for the Better Bottles. At least Northern Brewer sells one.
Get several liquid crystal thermometer strips.
Get some Oxyclean for cleaning your equipment and Starsan for sanitizing. Skip the cleaner with the kit.
Get a large funnel
Get a Vinator for sanitizing bottles.
You will need about 56 bottles and some caps (you can get your bottles by saving pry off cap bottles from craft beers)

Too late. Start saving for a bigger pot!

I bought the brewers best kit you were first considering. I am very happy with my purchase (although I paid $120 at the LHBS). I didn't look to see what the kit you ordered included, but I would definitely consider a wort chiller.

So I am finally looking to finally get a kit. I don't mind spending a little money up front if it means not having to buy things here and there later on. so is this kit pretty much good to start off with? I plan to make more wheat beers since those are my favorite types of beer.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/...-starter-kits/deluxe-brewing-starter-kit.html

I would still need to pick up bottles, would i need 2 orders of the 24 pack of 12oz or should i get more? Maybe add a case of 24oz bottles? Also last thing sorry. Should I also get a gravity testing kit from northern brewer?

Looks pretty good,especially with the PBW & Starsan. Do you already have a kettle? I'd say 5 gallons minimum from experience. 2 cases of bottles plus a 6 pack more would take care of a 5 gallon brew. And a hydrometer alone would do fine.

Looks pretty good,especially with the PBW & Starsan. Do you already have a kettle? I'd say 5 gallons minimum from experience. 2 cases of bottles plus a 6 pack more would take care of a 5 gallon brew. And a hydrometer alone would do fine.

I know I own one but I don't know if its 5 gallons, ill have to check it out. So that kit should last me a while for my brewing needs? Ill continue to look around and maybe in a week ill finally buy one

Got my kit today! Now I cant wait for Saturday.

Should I put the liquid yeast in the fridge until then or leave out in room temp?

I put yeasts in the lil butter cubby on the fridge door so they don't get crushed,ripped,etc from getting shoved around the fridge shelves. I put LME in the fridge too. Hops go in the freezer. I put them on that lil shelf above the ice maker,out of harm's way.

Back