Snickerdoppel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalFriday

Reaction score
Looking to do a doppelbock with cinnamon and vanilla for this year's holiday brew - the past few years I've done a gingerbread stout (basically combining the cookie recipe with the stout recipe), but I've never been cinnamon-forward in a brew.

Simply put, I'm looking at adding two vanilla beans, split, scraped, and vodka-steeped, with maybe 5 minutes left in the boil. How many cinnamon sticks should be added to complement that? Or is it better to hold off on the cinnamon sticks entirely on brew day and add them to secondary? Again, I'm looking for a balance of flavors that will evoke snickerdoodle cookies.

I know in some of the spiced holiday beers I've seen, people have been using two cinnamon sticks per five gallon. I just brewed one and left the sticks in for the full 60 min boil, hydrometer sample tasted great with the ginger and orange peel I also used. I've also seen people use the spice later in the boil. Once primary is done, if you aren't happy with the spice profile, you can always steep some more in hot water and add it to a secondary

Back